Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14398 Discussions

Question about Intel flex memory (for running 24gb ram on my laptop) EDIT: while using a dedicated GPU

bucketbrah
Beginner

I want to use 24gb (16+8 gb) ram in flex memory on my laptop (I can't get a 32gb dual channel setup on it cause 8gb is soldered on).

Now if the 24gb setup is running, say a memory intensive game that uses nearly 15gb of it, and the system by itself is using 4gb for drivers and background processes, is the 4gb system requirement allocated in the dual channel 16gb part first, or is it allocated to the game first and the system gets pushed to the single channel 8gb part if needed?

Like what is the priority order?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdrianM_Intel

Hello bucketbrah,

Thank you for your response.

Memory allocation or the priority order will be handled by the operating system and motherboard configuration, I will recommend contacting the system manufacturer so they might be able to let you know the priority or how the OS will allocate the single channel.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello bucketbrah,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Flex mode, this mode results in both dual and single-channel operation across the whole of DRAM memory you can check more details about this --> Single- and Multichannel Memory Modes, however, any integrations on laptops we recommend you contacting the system manufacturer of your laptop because they can customize their system to work with specific configurations and memory modules.

Regarding memory allocation, Intel® processor graphics hardware doesn't use a separate memory bank for graphics/video. Instead, the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) uses system memory. The Intel® graphics driver works with the operating system (OS) to make the best use of system memory across the Central Processing Units (CPUs) and GPU for a computer’s current workload.

The amount of graphics memory in use is dynamically allocated to balance the needs of the operating system and all running applications.

It's Limited by OS to one-half of System Memory.

You can find more details on the following link:

Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Graphics Memory on Windows® 10

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
bucketbrah
Beginner

Your answer pertains to usage of the Intel integrated GPU, but I use a dedicated 4gb Nvidia GPU for gaming. I'd like to know how flex memory RAM is allocated in that case.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello bucketbrah,

Thank you for your response.

Memory allocation or the priority order will be handled by the operating system and motherboard configuration, I will recommend contacting the system manufacturer so they might be able to let you know the priority or how the OS will allocate the single channel.

Regards,

Adrian M.