Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Question about compatibility

FFACC
Beginner

I have an ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME with X99 motherboard.

I am looking for a CPU to replace the dead i7-5820k. The price for this item are very high for me and I am not a gamer, so I am interested in buying a Xeon.

I saw this one with intersting caracteristics ,but the owner says me it's provider means it is not compatible with my motherboard : 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2643-V3-ES-3-2GHz-6C-12T-135W-LGA2011-3-CPU-Processor/162505911078

I asked ASUS in the same time, and they say that it is compatible:

https://www.asus.com/fr/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_CPU/

The CPU sold on eBay is a SE (engineering sample), does it affect the compatibility with my MB?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

First, you should NEVER purchase an ES (engineering sample), and you should report the ebay seller for selling them. Can it affect compatibility with your motherboard? Absolutely.

Now, if you find a legitimate E5-2643 V3, since Asus says it is compatible WITH THEIR BIOS, that is all you need - provided that this used processor is known to be good.

Purchasing a used processor is at your risk.

Doc

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

First, you should NEVER purchase an ES (engineering sample), and you should report the ebay seller for selling them. Can it affect compatibility with your motherboard? Absolutely.

Now, if you find a legitimate E5-2643 V3, since Asus says it is compatible WITH THEIR BIOS, that is all you need - provided that this used processor is known to be good.

Purchasing a used processor is at your risk.

Doc

FFACC
Beginner

Hello, I am sorry for the error of forum.I thought it was the good one.

Thank you for your answer, I didn't know SE is not for sale. In fact, I don't know what is Engineering Sample until the seller answered me the signification of the two letters.

Well, I will look for another one but the prices are very high, I think.

I have not bought the motherboard, a friend mine bought it new and installed new CPU and probably overclocked or had a watercool problem and so changed for a newer setup.

After years, he gave me freely the MB and CPU expecting it was still oparting, but in reallity, it was not.

I don't have ressouces to buy this expansive setup and so, I am looking for xeon equivalent.

Are you able to explaine me what is ES and what is different from the other CPU with the same caracteristics? What is dangerous?

Thank you for your help,

Fran6

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello FFACC, Engineering sample (ES) processors are also known as qualification sample processors. They are pre-production processors Intel loans to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), original device manufacturers (ODMs), and independent software vendors (ISVs) to be used in the product design cycle before product launch. You can find more information here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005719/processors.html Now, the processor can be compatible with your motherboard;however, since it it an enginerring sample can affect the compatibility and the performance. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello FFACC,

I am following your question and would like to know if you need further help.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
FFACC
Beginner

Hello, thank you for your interest,

I tryed to answer from my tab and phone but could not access correctly to the forum.

I thank everybody here who helped me understand more knowledge.

I don't have any further question, I have stopped looking for CPU as it has become expensive too much for me.

Thank you again for your support.

Sincerely yours,

Fran6

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello FFACC,

Feel free to contact us back in case you need more help.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos