Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Question about processor bottle necking PC?

ZMyrt
Beginner

I recently upgraded my computer from an i5 processor to a new and improved i7 4790k. It was working great after the installation, and I couldn't have been more satisfied with the way it performed. but recently I have been seeing major decreases in fps when i am playing a game ( a friend refereed to it as bottle necking) and slower response times when I am doing stuff for my work. I have a more simple cooling system for my computer overall and the stock fan for my processor is the problem possibly just overheating or something else? All comments and reply's are appreciated thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Zach_myrt,

In most occasions, the lower fps might be caused by the GPU and/or the capabilities of processor cores. So I suggest you to update your GPU drivers to the latest. If possible, try to re-install your Windows.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi zach_myrt,

I suggest you to verify in the BIOS if processor is running at 4.0GHz and memories at 1333 or 1600MHz at 1.5 volts. Then, you can run Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit- Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Verify the Expected CPU frequency and current frequency.

Regards,

Miguel
ZMyrt
Beginner

I downloaded it and it did say I failed the test and that I needed to check my thermal compound, what is a good benchmark for how much i should apply on the processor I was for sure I put enough when I did it the first time.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi zach_myrt,

Check with your motherboard manufacturer if there is any new BIOS version and any newer Chipset and Management Engine drivers.

Verify BIOS settings; make sure the board is not over clocking the processor. If problem continues contact our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support team and request further instructions.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
ZMyrt
Beginner

thank you i will be sure to check up on those and see if it helps

0 Kudos