Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Questions about 32 bit, 64 bit, SSE & extra CPU number registries.

SM-1234
Novice

I have been referred on to this manual, but quite frankly am not able to discern it well enough to find the answers to my questions.

Presuming that my processor is the Intel Core i9 Processor, i9-12900KS, at

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/225916/intel-core-i912900ks-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-50-ghz.html

Is someone able to reply in immediate English, to discern the answers to my questions for me, please?

1) I had thought that floating point binary digits are written and dealt with entirely inside the floating point unit of the 'Modern CPU'. Is this true, or is general RAM used too? What hardware is usually used for floating point arithmetic operations, data writing and reading?

2) How many 32 bit and 64 bit number floating point registries does the the i9-12900KS CPU have available?

3) Can you reuse one 64 bit registry as two 32 bit ones, or not?

4) Are there extra SSE (or equivalent) bits after the end of absolutely all floating point registries, in the i9-12900KS? If not, how does the number registry/"bonus registry" arrangement generally work, certainly for the i9-12900KS?

5) How many bits are inside each extra MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x,AVX. bit registry for the i9-12900KS, presuming that extra bits past the end of 32 and 64 bit registers are of uniform length? Is this number of bits constant or not, and if that varies, to what bit extent, and why?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello SM-1234,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are going to review the information and will let you know as soon as I have an update.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello SM-1234,

Please be advised that we do not provide support on how to and/or development questions. If further information is needed, please visit our Intel® Developer Zone https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/overview.html#gs.znsdgb

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos