Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Questions temperature processors

gamer87
Beginner
an i5 3470 processor working between 50-56C is a high temperature that will compromise the life of the processor and the motherboard that houses it? this during a not very heavy game and chrome browser open
I've always read that the higher the temperature, the shorter the useful life of the parts
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your temperature is fine.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68316/intel-core-i53470-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html

However, for a processor that old, I would take the time to clean the fans (case and processor) and make sure they actually work, and replace the thermal paste.    If you do not know how to do this, visit a repair shop.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
gamer87
Beginner
At what temperature does the life of the processor and motherboard begin to reduce? Is there an automatic function that turns everything off before this temperature?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For your processor generation, three thresholds were in place,

1. Tcontrol (Control Temperature) is a threshold that is provided for fan speed control subsystems. By definition, if the temperature is above this threshold, in the absence of any additional information regarding thermal load line (etc.), the fan speed control subsystem should be applying maximum cooling (i.e. fans at full speed).
  2. Tjmax (Maximum Junction Temperature) is a threshold that indicates the processor is at its maximum sustainable temperature. Any significant time spent at or above this temperature can be damaging the processor and will affect it lifetime. When this temperature is approached, the processor automatically throttles performance (lowers clock multipliers) to protect itself from this damage.
  3. Ttrip (Thermal Trip Temperature) is the threshold at which the processor shuts itself off to prevent severe damage. It is some number of degrees above Tjmax (but Intel does not publish how far).

Note the following:

1. With the exception of the Atom processor generations from that era, all three of these thresholds can vary from one individual processor to another.
  2. Tcontrol is typically somewhere in the vicinity of 85c and is specified as a number of degrees below the Tjmax threshold.
  3. Tjmax is typically somewhere in the vicinity of 100c. Mobile processors in this generation were tuned so Tjmax was right at 100c.
  4. Ttrip is not published nor can it be determined. The DTS (digital thermal sensors) within these processors can only represent temperatures up to Tjmax, so you can only know specifically what the temperatures are when they are below Tjmax.

So, all this stated, you want to keep the temperature of your processor below Tcontrol as much as possible. Short duration spikes up to the vicinity of Tjmax are ok as well, but, in the absence of additional information, you should presume that anything above Tcontrol could result in degradation and disaffect the lifetime of the processor.

NOTE: in later processor generations, the thermal model changed and the use of the Tcontrol threshold was eliminated. Intel will tell you that any temperature up to Tjmax is ok and can be sustained without degradation to the lifetime of the processor.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello gamer87,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it. I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge, and they jumped in and helped. 

You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued". https://ark.intel.com/   

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos