Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

RE: AVX 512 with 12th Generation Question

Residentx
New Contributor III

I was talking to someone who was sad that AVX 512 could not work with E-cores on 12th Generation Processors. 

I mentioned the following and would like other comments so I can explain this to customers. 

Reply1 (R1) : P-cores mean Performance and E-cores means Efficiency. 

R2: 12th Generation is targeted at client consumers/gamers not CSPs/Datacenters.

R3: Only a handful of games use AVX 512. Most game devs are still using AVX 128. 

R4: Sapphire Rapids is the product for users of AVX 512 & AMX. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello Residentx, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Residentx, 

Based on the research, I would like to share the following:

1. The meanings for "P-cores" and "E-cores" are correct.

2. As you mentioned, they are targeted at gamers and creators, end-users.

3. Officially 12th Gen only supports AVX-2 as listed in Ark.intel.com. If are wondering about which instructions are supported under which conditions (e.g. cores, workload), please check the following document:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/download/intel-architecture-instruction-set-extensions-programming-reference.html

4. We do not have information about Sapphire Rapids yet since it has not been officially released. For any official information please check our newsroom:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/home.html

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Residentx,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Residentx,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos