Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15200 Discussions

Random BSOD

Dubaidude
Beginner

Im opening a new thread as requested by a moderator. This is my current situation:

- What are the names of the affected games?

Rimworld, Helldivers, but I dont need to play a game to end up with a BSOD, browsing the web can be enough

- Is there an error message you're receiving?

All with varying error codes, often KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILUR, IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

- Which distributor did you install the game/s from?

Steam

- Aside from GPU driver updates, what are the tests and troubleshooting you have already taken? This is to ensure we do not provide redundant steps in isolating or fixing the issue.

Things I've done so far:
- Update drivers via windows and Gigabyte Control center
- No anti virus software installed, ever
- Run windows Memory Memory Diagnostic, no errors detected, swapped RAM, still crashing (XMP increasing the crash rate to just a few minutes of runtime before the cBSOD)
- Run Intel Processor Diagnostic tool, passed all tests
- Installed replacement mainboard, still crashing
- Reinstall of windows with set up of new device, no backup to restore used
- Cleared CMOS, unplugged device for 5 mins, restarted and still crashing

I found quite a few errors in my event viewer that pointed towards hyperthreads errors. Since disabling hyperthreading ion my BIOS I no longer had a crash with approx. up time of 12 h with gameplay. Is there a known problem with hyperthreading? I never overclocked my hardware over its specs set by that manufacturers. 

I would greatly appreciate assistance on this issue.

Best wishes
Dubaidude
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Dubaidude,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

For us to further check this, please help provide the following details:

1. What is the model of the processor?
  2. When did you purchase the unit?
  3. What is the brand and model of the motherboard and the replacement board?
  4. Did you update the BIOS of the 2 motherboards used?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Dubaidude
Beginner

1. Intel® Core™ i5 Processors (14th gen) i5-14600KF

2. 14.11.2023

3. I ordered the same motherboard again Gigabyte Gaming X AX Intel B760 So.1700 DDR4 ATX Retail

4. Both motherboard had the lastest BIOS at the time of use.

With turning off hyperthreading I no longer have crashes of my OS. Is this a know flaw in the 14th gen i5? I've run it for weeks now. Im quite sure that when i turn hyperthreading back on I will egt crashes almost instantly. I can try that if you'd like.

Regards

Duabidude

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Dubaidude,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Dubaidude,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Thank you and have a great day.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Dubaidude
Beginner
Hello,

Did you not see my previous reply to all of your questions?
0 Kudos
Dubaidude
Beginner
My crashes started again without me changing any settings in the BIOS or otherwise. I will request a replacement CPU because it is the only part of my pc I haven’t yet replaced. I ruled out software related issues and as it is the only yet I swapped part I will try this last thing to get my PC stable again. Is there any knows comparability issues with the hardware I have described in my previous posts? Best regards Dubaidude
0 Kudos
Dubaidude
Beginner
My crashes started again without me changing any settings in the BIOS or otherwise. I will request a replacement CPU because it is the only part of my pc I haven’t yet replaced. I ruled out software related issues and as it is the only yet I swapped part I will try this last thing to get my PC stable again. Is there any knows comparability issues with the hardware I have described in my previous posts? Best wishes Dubaidude
0 Kudos