Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Random freezes and reboots with event Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger Cache Hierarchy Error

LSilv33
Beginner

I'm an experienced builder and software developer, having built all my own workstations since 1990.

I recently built a new workstation running Windows 10 Enterprise Edition using the parts documented here:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sKJfWD

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series

Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive 

Case: NZXT - H500i

Power Supply: CORSAIR RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

I re-used some components from a prior build:

• A GeForce GT710 GPU for multi-monitor
  • A USB 4-port extender card
  • A discrete Intel Ethernet card.

I am not overclocking. I am running the memory at the designated 3200 speed with SPD values.

I have been experiencing random reboots. Several a day.

Event Log contains the following:

Log Name:   System

Source:    Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger

Date:     4/10/2019 1:14:53 PM

Event ID:   19

Task Category: None

Level:     Warning

Keywords:    

User:     LOCAL SERVICE

Computer:   xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-removed-xxxxxxxxxxx

Description:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Corrected Machine Check

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Processor APIC ID: 2 (varies - sometimes 6, sometimes 2. No other numbers seen.)

Shortly after these events (within a minute or two), the machine either freezes or quickly reboots. No BSOD, no prompt, no memory dump.

The CPU runs 33C when idle and 75C max running prime95 small FFTs.

Things I've Tried

• Ran all Windows Updates
  • Ran sfc /scannow and dsim commands. No problems found.
  • Upgraded motherboard BIOS to latest version.
  • Ran the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and installed new drivers for WiFi and Bluetooth components.
  • Swapped out the RAM for Corsair - Vengeance LPX 64 GB. memtest86 - passed
  • prime95 small FFTs for 30 minutes - didn't reboot while running.
  • Removed secondary discrete Ethernet card
  • Removed secondary USB expansion card.
  • Removed discrete GPU card GeForce GT710, now using only integrated graphics
  • In Windows Advanced Power Settings, disabled the default of allowing the hard drive (SSD in this case) to sleep after 20 minutes idle.
  • Logged CPU heat over time with hwinfo. Had a freeze-up while logging. The CPU temps were nominal at the time just prior to reboot.
  • Removed PC from UPS (CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/900W) in case UPS was not sending clean power (although I've used the same UPS with another build for 4 years).
  • Installed April Microsoft patches.
  • Disassembled all components, checked for shorts, cleaned off thermal paste and re-applied.
  • Ran the motherboard outside the case.
  • Installed the Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool 64Bit 4.1.33.W.MP, passed all tests.

At this point, there is nothing left to update. All BIOS and drivers are running the latest version.

I've spent hours troubleshooting this build. I'm in need of advice.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello LSilv33, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I can see that you have done extensive troubleshooting to the processor in question and in fact, checking the event you have mentioned it does seems to be related to the processor. Up to this point, what I would recommend you to do just to confirm the issue is the processor is to use the processor that is currently giving you the event with a different motherboard, check if the event is shown or if the freezing issue persists. Let me know the outcome please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
LSilv33
Beginner

David, I don't have another motherboard that accepts this CPU. Are you suggesting I purchase another one to test? I feel I'd be better off seeking an RMA replacement from Intel at this point.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello LSilv33, Thank you for your response. Up to this point, please contact us via live support by calling us at the number 916-377-7000 or else you can contact us via chat, below is a link to access our chat support: https://intelsupportchat.secure.force.com/icslivechat/apex/ICS_PreChatSurvey_english_general?endpoint=https%3A%2F%2F1pio.la2-c2-phx.salesforceliveagent.com%2Fcontent%2Fs%2Fchat%3Flanguage%3Den_US%23deployment_id%3D572U0000000CgOI%26org_id%3D00DU0000000YT3c%26button_id%3D573U0000000ChX9%26session_id%3D2a25a52e-7a44-43b9-ac58-2792b860ad4e Here we will be able to discuss warranty options. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos