Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

Random temperatures

Vertinhol
Beginner

Hello, I have a HP laptop 15-dw3xxx series and it comes with an Intel CPU i5-1135G7.

Recently I'm hearing that my fan is acting weird, it accelerate and decelerate randomly without any workload just browsing in most cases, I first downloaded HWmonitor to see what is my CPU temperature and I found that it fluctuates rapidly between 64°C and 95°C, which I don't think it's physically possible to achieve that, so I installed MSI-afterburner to get a clear view on what's going on and here is the graph:

Screenshot 2022-12-18 103126.png

As you can see, the CPU gets hot and "cold" (59°C with no load is still hot I think) very quicky which is not normal, also I placed the laptop in mid-air to have maximum cooling performance and the room temperature is between 18°C and 23°C.

So can someone explain to me what is happening please.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello @Vertinhol

Thank you for posing on the Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing temperature issues with your processor.

I would like to run some diagnostic tools on the system to get more information. Please attach screenshots of the results:

1. Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)
  2. Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
  3. Also, please check the processor usage on the task manager with the system idle to check if there is any process or program running in the background.

0 Kudos
Vertinhol
Beginner

Hello, thank you for your reply, unfortunately the XTU is not compatible with my CPU, and an application called "Console Window Host" is consuming around 26% of my CPU, that's weird it looks like a mining malware but I'm not sure, my windows 11 is fully updates and I'm using Microsoft antivirus (Windows security).

0 Kudos
Vertinhol
Beginner

Just a quick follow-up, I tried to reboot my PC before posting this but it didn't solve the problem, I ran an image rendering software to see how the CPU behaves in a stress condition and here's what I got:

Screenshot 2022-12-19 093648.png

The temperature drops under a heavy load and it doesn't fluctuate that much which is very normal, but just after the rendering process the temperature rises and start to fluctuate very much again, also for some reason the power is the same in both cases.

After rebooted it now and everything looks fine:

Screenshot 2022-12-20 114746.png

I executed every program I usually use to see if anyone of them will cause this issue but until now I didn't notice any change... weird.

I would like to know if those fluctuations are physically possible because the temperature sensor cannot be broken otherwise it will never work again I guess.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Vertinhol 

Thank you for the information provided.

If the issue is no longer happening after rebooting the system this could be related to processes running in the background like the Console Window Host process you mentioned. This will make this temperature fluctuation normal and they can happen as the processor and clock speed are changing in the background even though you are only browsing or if the system is just in an idle state. In order to understand the system’s normal operating temperature please contact your system manufacturer.

You can also check more information on processor usage in this article.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Vertinhol 

I hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.   

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Vertinhol 

I hope you are doing fine. 

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards, 

Hugo O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos