Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Recently bought an i7 9700k and every time I try to install windows 10 on my system I get stuck in a boot loop saying I have an unsupported processor. Any ideas???

User1581708161143579

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What media are you using and from where did you get it?

What is the model number of your motherboard?

What bios is installed?

Doc

0 Kudos
User1581708161143579

I've tried it from flash drive(retail version) and I've tried it from a CD(OEM) version

Motherboard is Asus Z390-A

I've tried doing it on the original bios version as well as new one 1401

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Get an 8gb usb2 drive, format it as fat32 on a windows machine, and make your install media from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Make certain you use UEFI, and then install windows 10 from the usb2 drive.

It it still loops, you have a hardware problem, with either the board, or memory.

Doc

0 Kudos
MLyon3
Beginner

I am having this exact same issue with the same processor and same board. BIOS updated to 1401 system won't install Windows 10 from a USB stick. I get a BSOD "Unsupported Processor". Also same error from a Windows installation DVD drive I created using the media too. Oddly enough I have a OEM version of Windows 10 on DVD version 1809 it loads up fine. Once everything is up and running Windows update pulls down the new version and instant BSOD on reboot.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Same board, same answer as I provided above.

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello all, 

We would like to jump in and provide some recommendations.

First, please provide us with the following information:

Spec Code.

This is usually printed on the box or on the processor (IHS).

The Spec Code should be SRXXX.

MLyon3,

Please provide us with the model number of your motherboard and BIOS version installed.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MLyon3
Beginner

My motherboard is an Asus z390 A with bios version 1401. Processor is i7​ 9700k SRG15. I have swapped ram with no luck and also tried several other BIOs versions.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MLyon3,

Thank you for your response.

Based on the information provided, the processor is compatible with the motherboard/BIOS, which means that the processor is working under design specifications. In this scenario, we recommend that you contact your motherboard manufacturer to check if they have been able to reproduce this behavior.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
MLyon3
Beginner
I was sent a brand new board by ASUS. I have the same problem, unsupported processor.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello User15817081611435796319,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello User15817081611435796319,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos