Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Reduced frequency on i7 8700 - please help

gharmon9910
Beginner

Ok I've had my i7 8700 for about a year and a half now, and previously was not having any issues. However, when recently trying to push more frames in a game, I noticed that my CPU was running at a pretty slow frequency of 2.7 GHz. 

I pulled up Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to run a stress test, and sure enough, the max core frequency (both during the stress test and before/after) is 2.71 Ghz. HWMonitor shows the same. It's certainly not a throttling issue, as the max temp it got to was 32C. 

Under Advanced Tuning, I see that for some reason, it's listing the Max Turbo Boost CPU Speed to be 2.700 GHz. I do not know why, and I also don't know how to change it. 

Anyone experience this issue before? The stock frequency for this chip is 3.2 GHz with turbo boost up to 4.6 GHz, so this is way below spec. 

The rest of my setup:

MOBO: Aorus Ultimate Gaming Wifi z370

CPU cooler: NZXT kraken x63

RAM: 32 Gb of 3200 Mhz corsair vengeance 

GPU: RTX 3080 

Thank you!!

PSU: NZXT C series 850W

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is typically configured in BIOS Setup. You should have a scene where you can specify the frequency for each of the turbo boost states (one core active, two cores active, etc.). Unfortunately, I do not have any Asus boards so cannot walk you there. If you cannot find them, call and ask Asus.

...S

0 Kudos