Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Replacement NVMe SSD is not recognized and the original NVMe SSD is also no longer recognized

ber999
New Contributor I

HP Pavilion 17-Ab403ng does not find the replacement SSD or the original SSD at startup after replacing the internal SSD drive with a higher capacity drive.

Replacement NVMe SSD is not recognized and the original NVMe SSD is also no longer recognized (see attached file).

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Was the original SSD an Optane Memory Drive? If yes, did you disabled the Optane acceleration before replacing with the new SSD?

Leon

0 Kudos
ber999
New Contributor I

Thank you Leon.

In the HP Service Handbook, the SSD's are specified as follows:

256 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products (part no 847109-002)

or

512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products (part no 847110-004)

A Optane settings tab not even exits in the UEFI Bios configuration view. Hence, such settings could not be changed.

Processor specification:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, turbo up to 3.8 GHz), 2400 MHz/6 MB L3, Quad cTDP 35 W √
or
Intel® Core i7-8750H processor (2.2 GHz, turbo up to 4.1 GHz, 2666 MHz, 9 MB L3 cache) √

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @ber999 

1. In The Specification page for your laptop , there is no mention about any NVMe SSD. It doesn't mean that your laptop have not one installed. But I was asking what is the P/N of the original NVMe SSD?  From your first post I understand that you got one and it was replaced by higher capacity drive. Since you attached image of Intel RST application, I asked if the old drive was an Optane Memory drive. The Intel RST application is usually used to control RAID array or enable/disable Optane acceleration (see the Intel Optane tab in this application).  There is no Optane tab in BIOS, rather the SATA mode is set to "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System" (or similar), instead of AHCI in case that Optane Memory is used.

2. In case that the old SSD was standard NVMe SSD, was the O.S. installed on this drive?

3. Can you see the new drive in recognized in M.2 slot in BIOS settings?

4. If the answer to para. 3 is - yes, please check if you can see the new drive in Disk Management. If you don't see the new SSD drive in Disk Management, press Action in menu and then Rescan Disks. You may attach an image of Disk Management.

Leon

0 Kudos
ber999
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

thank you very much.

1. See attached Maintenance and Service Guide.

2. OS is Windows 10 Home german.

3. No.

4.  Dispite answer to para. 3 is no, see attached file.

5.  New SSD is 

Crucial P1 1 TB

or Crucial P2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD CT1000P2SSD8

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. You didn't answered what is the P/N of the old SSD?

2. Was the old SSD recognized in BIOS?

3. Is the M.2 slot in BIOS enabled?

Leon

0 Kudos
ber999
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

thank you very much.

1. Currently, I have the original SSD installed in the machine. Before I can have look on it, I have to disassemble the notebook again.

2. The original SSD was recognized all time before the insertion of the replacement SSD. After that, neither the one SSD nor the other is recognized.

3. It is an Ami UEFI Bios (see attachment). I have not found any enable button for a M.2 slot. 

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @ber999 

I'm not familiar with this BIOS. In order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.
What is strange, that your system is running now, that means that Windows is installed on the HDD and not on the SSD.
Leon

0 Kudos
ber999
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

summary is as follows:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home(10.0.19042 Build 19042)
Physical Memory (Installed): 8 GB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
System Type: x64-based PC
Total Installed Updates: 23 Updates - See Detailed View for more information
Display Adapter(s): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 27.20.100.9316
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 27.21.14.5763
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: 84ED
Network Adapter(s): Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) 10.0.19041.1
Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz 22.30.0.11
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller 10.32.1206.2018
Disk(s): ST1000LM035-1RK172 540,25 GB (available) 10.0.19041.789

and detetailed report is attached.

0 Kudos
ber999
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

you find, attached to this message, three figures. One of the figures is depicting the SSD slot. You can see a small deformation of the slot.

I did not take notice from this fact until now since I have removed and reinserted the original SSD one time (before I replaced the original SSD) and, after that, the notebook started properly. 

The deformation must have already existed when I bought the notebook.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Yes, I can see the deformation in the M.2 socket and the original Samsung PM961 256 GB NVMe SSD. For me, it looks like this deformation was caused by temperature overheating. 

From the SSU report, I can see that your BIOS is set to UEFI mode (which is correct, since this is requirement for NVMe SSD).  

I can see that Windows is installed on the HDD. Before removing the Samsung PM961, was Windows installed on this Samsung SSD? If yes, while now, the old Samsung SSD is inserted, you have Windows installed on both drivers  - the M.2 SSD and on the HDD?

Did you ask for help in HP support? This will be more effective in this case.

Leon

0 Kudos
ber999
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

thank you very much.

I have also opened a thread at HP.

Re: Cloned SSD Will Not Boot - Inaccessible Boot Drive - HP Support Community - 8020238

Currently, I am trying to fix the problem by gluing a strip of plastic material on the deformed location.

ber999
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

the mechanical damage on the slot seems to be not beeing the cause of the problem. 

Moreover, I have collected some Information from AID64 which could be related to the issue (see below).

Motherboard

Chipsatz

Speichersteckplätze      

PCI Express Controller  

PCI-E 2.0 x8 port #2        Belegt @ x8

Datenträger

Windows Datenträger

Intel Chipset SATA PCIe RST Premium Controller

Informationsliste            Wert

Geräteeigenschaften   

Gerätebeschreibung     Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller

Treiberdatum   15.07.2019

Treiberversion 16.8.3.1003

Treiberanbieter               Intel Corporation

INF-Datei            oem64.inf

INF Section        iaStorAC_inst_8.NTamd64

Geräteressourcen         

IRQ        65536

Speicher             64420000-64421FFF

Speicher             64425000-644257FF

Speicher             64426000-644260FF

Port       5060-507F

Port       5080-5083

Port       5090-5097

Datenträger

Aspi

Host-Rechner   ID            LUN       Geräteart           Anbieter             Modell Rev        Zusatzinformationen

00           00           00           Festplatte          ST1000LM           035-1RK172        RSM8   

00           05           00           Optisches Laufwerk       hp          DVDRW GUE1N               UE00    

00           07           00           Host Adapter    iaStorAC

Please pay Attention to PCI-E 2.0 x8 port #2      Belegt @ x8 .

German word „belegt“ means occupied!

Finally, I have found an issue in the device manager and, according to this, a report in the Internet that this issue coud have a relation to the PCIe port on the Motherboard (see attached figure). 

0 Kudos
ber999
New Contributor I

Hello Leon,

it seems that the HP Notebook UEFI firmware prevents the use of other NVMe SSD Hardware than such distributed by Hewlett Packard. I have inserted a Crucial 1 TB NVMe SSD in the NVMe SSD slot of my HP Pavilion notebook. The Notebook does not recognize this Crucial SSD in the NVMe SSD Slot. However, I could access the Crucial SSD properly when mounted in an external USB enclosure. The accessibility issue was handled in the treatise behind the following link NVME M.2 SSD detected in BIOS - not detected in Windows 10 x64 - Microsoft Community and other locations in several support nets. Though, in the case of the notebook mentioned above, the system does no longer recognize the original bult-in SSD (wearing an HP part number) after the recognition of the Crucial SSD failed. I have created support tickets in several support networks without receiving a solution. This situation is inacceptable as much more the NVMe SSD in the slot is originally the boot drive. The vendor Crucial has published a SSD compatibility list https://www.crucial.de/compatible-upgrade-for/hP---Compaq/pavilion-17-ab404ng which contains the SSD that I have bought as a replacement. After my way of thinking, this list is unreliable now.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @ber999

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. We hope that the information provided by the community has been helpful.

We are checking this thread and after reviewing all the details, our conclusion is that this issue is neither related to Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) nor the processor. This is pointing out to a compatibility issue, or an issue with the motherboard port and/or BIOS, so our recommendation is to check this further with the computer manufacturer (OEM).

Having said that, we will proceed to close this thread now from our end. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos