Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Replacement of Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Moi1
Beginner

Good afternoon,

I have a Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz on my computer. I would like to update it by a more robust processor (with the same socket).

What type of processor I can buy ?

Thank you for your support

Best Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is a little more involved than that.  You need to contact your motherboard/system manufacturer and ask them what processors are supported by THEIR bios.   Then, you can select from those.

If you have a asus, msi, gigabyte, or other such board, often the manufacturer will have a support page for that board which will tell you all of the processors supported by that board's bios.

Also, do not get your hopes up that you can upgrade to other generations of processors.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Moi1
Beginner

Thank you for your support.

I have a "Dell Studio XPS 8900 Desktop Motherboard LGA1151 XJ8C4 0XJ8C4".

I want to stay on the same generation of Intel processor.

I dont know how to know why processor the bios is supporting. I have version 2.8.0.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You need to ask Dell.  Contact dell support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The only same-generation processor that would garner a performance improvement is the Core i7-6700K, which is the unlocked version of the same processor. This would raise the base clock from 3.4GHz to 4.0Ghz. But, since it has the same max turbo boost clock of 4.2GHz, the performance improvement is likely not, IMHO, worth the upgrade cost. As Al said, you would need to ask Dell whether this part is supported as (if nothing else) its (BIOS-configured) turbo boost settings are different.

The other possibility is to go to a 7th gen (Kaby Lake) processor (i.e. the Core i7-7700 or (better) the Core i7-7700K). These *are* supported by the board's LGA1151 socket and Z170 chipset; you just need to check with Dell regarding whether their BIOS contains support for either of these next-gen processors.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos