Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Rocket Lake VCCIO2 voltage

lare111
Beginner

I have MSI Mag B560 Torpedo Motherboard, Intel Core i5 11400 CPU and 3200Mhz CL16 RAM kit. If I select XMP Profile 1, VCCIO2 (Mem OC) voltage goes up to 1.310V. I have overclocked my RAM to 3600Mhz but it required 1.32V VCCIO2 voltage to boot in Gear 1 mode. If I have overclocked my RAM to 3600Mhz and leave VCCIO2 at auto, it jumps up to 1.400V. 

Is 1.32V really safe? If I have understood correctly, VCCIO2 is a new voltage just for the Rocket Lake CPUs only. Gear 2 mode doesn't seem to require much voltage.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lare111, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to let you know that we do not advise to overclock either the CPU or the RAM. In this case, if the RAM is running above the base frequency (3200MHz) this could damage the memory controller hub inside of the processor and affecting the CPU itself.

However, as long as the RAM runs at the supported frequency or less, the voltage should be fine since it is automatically set by the motherboard manufacturer. If you would like to know more about the frequency and voltage that the motherboard is allowed to provide to the RAM and CPU, I recommend you to check with MSI for instructions and details.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos