Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

SSD glitching/rebooting 1-3 times an hour

quantark
Beginner

i have an asus rog g strix g713gt. i recently upgraded the secondary sshd (firecuda 1tb) to a ssd (wd blue 1tb). The ssd works flawlessly when i connect it externally via usb but the moment i connect it internally it restarts 1-3times an hour randomly freezing everything that was accessing data from it.. The event viewer logs the following warning/error everytime this incident happens "event 129 storahci Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued."

Laptop Model : ASUS ROG G STRIX G713GT
Processor : Intel i7 9th gen
Ram : 16gb

There are no pending updates for drivers or windows. Already had the power plan set to performance with all power savings off and all settings set to max performance.. Edited the registry to add the drive to lpm state list. Also edited the registry to turn on ahci power management option in power settings and set it to active.. The driver shown is standard ahci driver from 2006 in device manager.. Please help

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to be discussing this issue with your laptop vendor (Asus) and/or with WD.

...S

0 Kudos
quantark
Beginner
Asus hasn't been able to provide any solution and wd just says we're looking into it everyone seems to be passing the buck to the next person..
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, instead you are going to come here and posit that it must be the processor that is responsible? Next it will be the chipset is responsible? No, this issue has nothing to do with Intel. Go deal with the real culprits. You paid them for warranty and support; make them actually provide it. This site is not a dumping ground for these companies to use to avoid providing the support people paid for.

...S

0 Kudos
quantark
Beginner
Well i came here in the hopes of someone with more experience than me to guide me in the direction of a solution as other companies which should have the same haven't been able to
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You likely have a bad SSD and, when it hangs, the system ends up being rebooted. If you cannot return it to the storefront where you purchased it, contact WD and have them replace it through their RMA process.

...S

0 Kudos
quantark
Beginner

RMA already done once as my first instinct was bad ssd but strangely even the new one has same issue.. Ironically it works flawlessly when connected as an external drive via usb, the issue persists when connected internally.. From what i have been able to understand going thru a zillion sites and posts there is some issue with some power management somewhere or a driver.. Unfortunately i hit a wall with all possible solutions online today so ended up posting on multiple community forums to enlist help of more experienced people..

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's information that you should have included in your original post. Instead, you let people waste their time wringing it out of you.

Have you tried a NVMe drive from a different manufacturer? It may simply be a platform incompatibility.

...S

0 Kudos
quantark
Beginner

I understand the irritation but as I mentioned I have been thru so many solutions online that listing them all would make this a really long post its a sata ssd which i am trying to replace my old hdd with.. i have tried using other ssd's which worked but unfortunately they're of a smaller capacity hence i am trying to get this working.. Also i have been unable to find a compatible drive/part list for the laptop from asus. WD being one of the most common drives i presumed would work..

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello quantark,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

As Scott mentioned, the best recommendation is to contact the OEM for further assistance.

Contact OEMs: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos