Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Safe memory voltage for an i7-9750H CPU?

David94
Beginner

Hi there,

I've been interested in upgrading my OEM memory for quite some time now, but I read an article online that stated the operating voltage of memory must be within the maximum operating voltage specifications of your chipset. Through looking at my system specs, I was able to determine that my OEM memory operates at around 1.2V . However, I've been looking at high-performance RAM that runs at 1.35V . Can this voltage increase be potentially dangerous to my system?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Using memory that uses a higher bus frequency or a higher voltage than the processor has been validated to support is technically a form of overclocking. It is stressing the processor beyond its validated (and warranted) limits and a resulting failure could void your warranty.

...S

0 Kudos
David94
Beginner
I appreciate your response, but that is basically a reiteration of what I first said. I'm asking if my specific processor can handle a voltage load of 1.35V as opposed to 1.2V. I already know that my system can handle a frequency up to 3200MHz, as the OEM memory is running at that frequency by default.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
No one can say whether *your* processor is going to work at this higher voltage. It likely will, but there's always a chance that it may not (it certainly isn't guaranteed to do so).
...S
0 Kudos
David94
Beginner
I wish there was some way to easily discern the voltage capacity of certain processors. However, I seriously doubt a voltage increase of .15 would fry my board. After all, I'm looking at running my new memory its base frequency.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@David94 Regarding undervolting your processor, you cannot do that.  It is a security risk.  As such, Intel has disabled it.

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

0 Kudos
David94
Beginner
No offense, but where in my post did I say that I was trying to operate my processor under its normal voltage? I'm simply trying to discern what the maximum memory operating voltage is. You know, RAM?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"I wish there was some way to easily discern the voltage capacity of certain processors. However, I seriously doubt a voltage increase of .15 would fry my board."

Whatever...

0 Kudos
David94
Beginner
You people seem like a bunch of talking heads who don't want to help. You're sitting here assuming that I'm trying to benchmark my processor when in reality I just asked a simple question.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You have been provided the answer, and that it is technically a form of overclocking.

You can do what you want with that information.

0 Kudos