Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David94
Beginner

Safe memory voltage for an i7-9750H CPU?

Hi there,

I've been interested in upgrading my OEM memory for quite some time now, but I read an article online that stated the operating voltage of memory must be within the maximum operating voltage specifications of your chipset. Through looking at my system specs, I was able to determine that my OEM memory operates at around 1.2V . However, I've been looking at high-performance RAM that runs at 1.35V . Can this voltage increase be potentially dangerous to my system?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Using memory that uses a higher bus frequency or a higher voltage than the processor has been validated to support is technically a form of overclocking. It is stressing the processor beyond its validated (and warranted) limits and a resulting failure could void your warranty.

...S

David94
Beginner

I appreciate your response, but that is basically a reiteration of what I first said. I'm asking if my specific processor can handle a voltage load of 1.35V as opposed to 1.2V. I already know that my system can handle a frequency up to 3200MHz, as the OEM memory is running at that frequency by default.
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No one can say whether *your* processor is going to work at this higher voltage. It likely will, but there's always a chance that it may not (it certainly isn't guaranteed to do so).
...S
David94
Beginner

I wish there was some way to easily discern the voltage capacity of certain processors. However, I seriously doubt a voltage increase of .15 would fry my board. After all, I'm looking at running my new memory its base frequency.
AlHill
Super User

@David94 Regarding undervolting your processor, you cannot do that.  It is a security risk.  As such, Intel has disabled it.

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

David94
Beginner

No offense, but where in my post did I say that I was trying to operate my processor under its normal voltage? I'm simply trying to discern what the maximum memory operating voltage is. You know, RAM?
AlHill
Super User

"I wish there was some way to easily discern the voltage capacity of certain processors. However, I seriously doubt a voltage increase of .15 would fry my board."

Whatever...

David94
Beginner

You people seem like a bunch of talking heads who don't want to help. You're sitting here assuming that I'm trying to benchmark my processor when in reality I just asked a simple question.
AlHill
Super User

You have been provided the answer, and that it is technically a form of overclocking.

You can do what you want with that information.