Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

Sapphire Rapids E3 vs E4 vs E5

tonynb
Beginner

Hello Intel Support,

We've been using Sapphire Rapids for our products from last year, and shipped with E4 stepping. We've just figured out for some reason we have some E3 stepping CPUs in stock and we're thinking of using them but still concern about its reliability and performance vs E4.

Can you please show me the differences between E3, E4 and E5 (or a link to a document?) What improvements in E4, E5 vs their predecessors (E3, E4) respectively? We may consider using E5 as well if the improvements are significant over E4.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Tony

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting on Intel Community.

Please allow us some time as we are reviewing the query shared and we shall get back with an update at the earliest.

Regards,

Megha

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

Please note stepping code is created for the Intel Processor when there is an improvement in the manufacturing process or if a feature has been fixed or removed.

This does not mean stepping E4 is better than E5. This will depend on the exact SKU.

Hence we request to confirm the exact SKU so we can try and check if we have the modifications available.

Regards,

Megha

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Megha,

We haven't used E5 yet so which SKU is not determined. For the current E4 and E3 we have in stock, below are their info:

===============

E4:

SKU: 6414UL (Gold)
Number of Cores: 32
MHz: 2000
CPU Family: 6
CPU Stepping: 7
Microcode : 0x2b000130

===============

E3:

SKU: 6414U (Gold)
Number of Cores: 32
MHz: 2000
CPU Family: 6
CPU Stepping: 6
Microcode : 0x2b000130

These two are pretty much the same except the E4's SKU has an L at the end (I don't know what it means) and the stepping 7 for E4 vs stepping 6 for E3.

Can you please let me know the differences from E4 and E3 above regarding features and/or improvements?

Thanks
Tony

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

Thank you for sharing the requested details.

Please allow us some time as we are reviewing the details shared and we shall get back with an update at the earliest.

Regards,

Megha

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

We request to please confirm the product that is being used.

Please find the details related to the query.

1 - Please be informed Xeon 4th Generation does not use "E4" or "E3" classification.

This was used for older Xeon processors.

2 - The Xeon 6414UL (Gold) is not listed on our database. We request to please re-confirm this information provided.

Please be informed Stepping , is just an internal control for the manufacturer.

When the CPU has an improvement it is a fix on the manufacturing process.

That does not mean any differences in the CPU features, only manufacturer process.

What Does Stepping of Intel® Processors Mean?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057218/processors.html

As you can see, the microcode of the 2 examples mentioned is the same, so technically same CPU.

We request to help us with the readings of the CPU 2D matrix and SN number which will help us to get concise history of these CPU.

Regards,

Megha k

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Megha,

Thank you for you reply. For (1), I think E3, E4 are the steppings as stepping E5 of the CPU in the link below:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/231731/intel-xeon-gold-6414u-processor-60m-cache-2-00-ghz/ordering.html

For (2), I am sorry maybe I didn't provide the correct SKU of the E4 stepping CPU that I have. 6414UL was from the CPU model shown by Linux. I believe both of these steppings (E3, E4) have SKU as 6414U as does E5 in the link above.

I am working with our purchasing department to collect the info you asked and will provide as soon as I have.

Thanks for your support,
Tony

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonyb,

We will await your response to assist you further.

Regards,

Megha k

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Megha,

Here is our purchasing department reply:

==================
E3:
Q16M, 6414U, E3 Stepping, MM#99C110

==================
E4:
Q20T, 6414UL, E4 Stepping, MM#99C52P

According to them, both are QS sample, the difference is the stepping. I don't understand some of the codes (Q# and MM#) but I hope you guys will figure them out.

Thanks
Tony

0 Kudos
vij1
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

Please allow us some time as we are reviewing the details shared and we shall get back with an update at the earliest.

Regards,

Vijay

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

We request to please confirm the product that is being used.

Regards,

Megha K

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Megha,

The Sapphire Rapids CPU E3 and E4 steppings are being used and these are the info from a previous post:

==================
E3:
Q16M, 6414U, E3 Stepping, MM#99C110

==================
E4:
Q20T, 6414UL, E4 Stepping, MM#99C52P

Thanks
Tony

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

Thank you for confirming the details.

Please allow us sometime as we are reviewing the details shared and we shall get back with an update at the earliest.

Regards,

Megha K

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

Please find the below details for the requested query.

Please note Q code might be an identification which is obtained from Linux, we do not recognize that code.

MM: Material Master - works to identify a processor, see the link below, which is also applicable for the processor and for more details:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000039239/ethernet-products.html

As for the purchasing information, we request you to search through an Intel distributor with the following code number: PK8071305072001.

Please note this particular model is Tray.

E3, E4, and E5 are just stepping codes for the processor, in other words, revision numbers during the manufacturing process.

QS samples are engineering sample processors or pre-production, they were given to the OEM for testing purposes, but they are not for sale.

Regards,

Megha K

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Megha,

We got an Intel document from our supplier that explains the differences between the steppings of Sapphire Rapids. There is one silicone change to the E4 and another silicon change to the E5.

Thank you for your support,
Tony

0 Kudos
Meghak
Employee

Hi Tonynb,

Thank you for confirming the details.

Please confirm if we can proceed with the case closure if the reported query is resolved.

Regards,

Megha k

0 Kudos
tonynb
Beginner

Hi Megha,

Yes, please close.

Thanks
Tony

0 Kudos