Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Silver J5005 vs i3

WynneITMgr
Beginner

We are getting some new Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Clients with an Intel Silver J5005 @ 1.50GHz processor. The Thin Clients are replacing some older workstations with the following processors: Intel i3 4130 @ 3.40GHz, Intel i3 4170 @ 3.70GHz, Intel i3 3240 @ 3.30GHz, and Intel i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz. 

Does it make a difference that the GHz on the new Thin Clients is much lower? Is this new processor going to be slower? Thank you for any explanation.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Considering that this processor is essentially an Atom processor on steroids, it is not going to have the same compute power that modern Core i3 processors have. That said, these processor being replaced are not really modern processors (per se). I believe that the J5005 processor is going to give a fairly good showing in comparison with them. If course, this of going to be dependent upon a number of factors: amount of memory, O/S being used, mix of applications being run, etc. and etc. I have an Intel NUC system (NUC7PJYH) that utilizes this same processor and I notice little difference in its performance compared to Core i3-based NUC models.

Hope this helps,

...S

WynneITMgr
Beginner

Thanks Scott! The old i3 processors are running on old Windows 7 machines with 4GB memory. The new J5005's are running on Windows 10 with 8GB memory

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, with that future-proofing thrown in, that's pretty good.

...S

WynneITMgr
Beginner

So you think performance should be pretty decent with that configuration?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, it should be decent. Having 8GB or DRAM helps. Having an SSD would be even better.

...S

WynneITMgr
Beginner

The new machines have 64GB Solid State Drive.

0 Kudos
WynneITMgr
Beginner

I have another machine that has the following specs. Does that look good?

Intel Xeon Silver 4110 @ 2.10 GHz (8 Processors)

1 Cores Per Socket, 8 Sockets

32 GB RAM

64-bit OS, x64 based-processor

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Xeon Silver 4110 is an 8 Core, 16 Thread​ processor. Xeon processors are tuned for transactional processing (it is intended for server usage models, after all). Bottom line, good choice for server, but still not bad for workstation and desktop usage.

...S

0 Kudos