Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Since I updated XTU to version 6.0.2.8, Watchdog is not supported anymore

rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Hi.

Like 6 months ago, I tried different settings in XTU until I found the one that fits better my CPU. I have an i7-4700MQ (notebook lenovo Y510P).

It's been working perfectly since then, but like 1 moth ago I updated the XTU to the latest version (I don't know which one I had), and now, Watchdog is no longer supported. Now, a message appears and says it can't set up the previous default settings if the PC suddenly shuts down. This didn't happen to me 8 months ago, when I was trying different values for undervolt my CPU to reach cooler temps. Now the XTU reports my PC does not support Watchdog. So something's wrong.

Nevertheless, it works totally fine, but you know, it should support Watchdog, as it did 8 months ago.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rambomhtri,

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility shows the features supported by the BIOS of your board. By any chance did you update the operating system to Windows® 10? We had noted issues in regards Watchdog with this operating system.

As a recommendation, uninstall Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, update the BIOS, Chipset and Management Engine drivers from your laptop manufacturer website then, reinstall Intel® software.

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU- Download Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)

Regards,

Mike C

rambomhtri
New Contributor II

No, I've been using Windows 8.1 x64 all the time. I have the latest BIOS available, and the chipset and ME drivers are also up to date. Nothing has changed except XTU.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rambomhtri,

Please verify if watchdog is active in the BIOS settings.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

I don't have any Watchdog settings in my notebook BIOS

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rambomhtri,

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility shows the options available in the BIOS; if Utility gives an error with Watchdog, it means the BIOS of your Lenovo notebook contains this feature.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Well, it's not there. Can you share a photo or something so I can see where it should be?

I've navigated all the menus (we're talking about a notebook BIOS, there're just 4-5 options per menu).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rambomhtri,

It will be necessary to contact your laptop manufacturer Lenovo.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

I've finally ended up formatting my whole laptop, and now the last version 6.0.2.8 works. I don't know what happened.

Anyways, I'm still not able to see any Watchdog option in my BIOS.

0 Kudos
rambomhtri
New Contributor II

OK, this problem is not solved, I thought it was, but it's not. Today I opened XTU, got a message that said "XTU was closed suddenly" or something like that, and then Watchdog is again not being supported. Somehow, when you set the values that work for your notebook, after a while, watchdog fails, and I don't know why. When I formatted my notebook, I installed XTU, set the values, and worked. After a week, I've run XTU and got that message.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rambomhtri,

Reset the configuration to manufacturer settings. Double check if you have the latest BIOS and drivers of your laptop according to your manufacturer website.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos