Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Skylake processor 5118

agibs4
Beginner

Cisco Call manager supports 3rd party processor with 12 -Intel Xeon 4100,5100,6100,8100, now i want to shift the call manager to Dell Hyper converged Infrastructure which is having a specs of Skylake processor 2x Intel gold 5118 2.3 ghz 12C/24T processor per node.

is it still in the compatible matrix ?? in perspective of processor ??

actually i m new to processor family so i don't know whether here Xeon and skylake are different family of processor or a xeon is a base technology which goes with every edition of processor and skylake is the processor family.

Please clarify

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Xeon is a brand of x86 microprocessors designed, manufactured, and marketed by Intel, targeted at the non-consumer workstationserver, and embedded system markets.

Skylake is the codename used by Intel for a processor microarchitecture that was launched in August 2015 succeeding the Broadwell microarchitecture.

Are there Xeon processors based upon the Skylake microarchitecture? Most certainly - but, understand that there are also Core processors based upon the Skylake microarchitecture.

I suggest you start your reading with these articles:

Hope this explains it,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a question that you need to be asking Dell about. Only they know what processors can be used in their boards.

...S

0 Kudos
agibs4
Beginner

Dear Scott

Thanks for the reply,

"no" my question is Cisco Call Manager has mentioned his compatibility with Xeon 41100,5100,6100,8100 processor i want to know a simple question from intel that Intel skylake family is Xeon based and the Dell server is Skylake 5100 series , is it skylake and xeon are with different architecture.

thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Xeon is a brand of x86 microprocessors designed, manufactured, and marketed by Intel, targeted at the non-consumer workstationserver, and embedded system markets.

Skylake is the codename used by Intel for a processor microarchitecture that was launched in August 2015 succeeding the Broadwell microarchitecture.

Are there Xeon processors based upon the Skylake microarchitecture? Most certainly - but, understand that there are also Core processors based upon the Skylake microarchitecture.

I suggest you start your reading with these articles:

Hope this explains it,

...S

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello agibs4, As it was mentioned before, by the fellow member, Skylake is the codename and Xeon is a brand of processors is a brand of x86 microprocessors. Besides the information provided to you before, you can check this link for more information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/xeon.html Now, in regards your first question, the Intel® Xeon® Gold 5118 Processor, should be compatible with Cisco call manager, since they are part of the 5100 family; however, we do recommend contacting Dell support in order to confirm this information. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello agibs4, We are following your question and would like to know if you need more help. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello agibs4, If you need more assistance please feel free to contact us back. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos