Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Slow download speed for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

FMass4
Beginner

Hi,

I have dramatic download speed on my wifi but very good upload speed on ASUS laptop UX461UA with Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265.

I attached intel report for more information and here is a speed test made online : http://www.speedtest.net/fr/result/7178836121 Flash Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

I thought at the beginning that this was a hardware issue but I already change one time the laptop...

Can you help me to solve this download speed issue ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
25 Replies
APine1
Beginner

Good morning,

I'm still awaiting to hear from someone as to what can cause the CPU voltage to read "8. volts" instead of "1.7 V" within the Intel System Support Utility.

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aapassociateswifi,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that the Intel® System Support Utility displays the Current Voltage as 8. volts. I would like to do further research about this issue.

Please attach the Intel® System Support Utility report for these systems:

-A system with good performance.

-A system with poor performance.

In addition, do systems improve their performance by using an AC to DC adapter only? Have you made other changes?

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
APine1
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Attached are the system information:

System with poor performance

10.147.36.141_TP_CPU_Speed_0.79_GHz_Current_Voltage_8._volts_withDCtoDCconverter_fromBatterySource_PoorPerformance.txt

10.147.36.141_TP_CPU_Speed_3.30 GHz_Current_Voltage_8._volts_withACAdapter_fromWallSource_PoorPerformance.txt

for comparison..

System with good performance

10.147.38.67_HS_CPU_Speed_3.30 GHz_Current_Voltage_1.7_volts_withACAdapter_fromInverterBatterySource_GoodPerformance.txt

I have several questions:

If the voltage is not 1.7 volts (normal) how will that impact performance? Any reference/info on that?

Why is it reading "8. volts" with an AC adapter from a wall source?

What are the possible reasons that would cause this?

If you can answer those questions and help me troubleshoot it I can proceed with my troubleshooting on the wireless poor performance.

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aapassociateswifi,

Thank you for your response.

I was reviewing the reports attached and I noticed that you are using OptiPlex 7050. Because system manufacturers such as DELL* determine voltage and frequency, among other specifications, of their systems, they should not be modified by using other power solutions that were not recommended by them. Keep in mind that this processor cannot be overclocked and altering frequency and/or voltage may reduce stability and performance.

In this case, you can check if a setting in BIOS is modifying voltage data. Unless there is a problem in BIOS, current voltage should not increase. Now you may need to contact DELL* to determine how these changes will impact the performance of your systems.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
ATell1
New Contributor I

What router do you have? Reason I ask is sometimes the router firmware with newer updates can have a borked wireless firmware causing incompatibilities. I have a similar issue with my Netgear R7800 since the recent firmwares, where my 9260ac will suddenly drop download speeds to like 10-20kbps like you have for like 5+ minutes. Switching back to the older R8500 solved it for me. The R7800 ironically is actually newer technology wise and better hardware (CPU and WiFi chipset) .

0 Kudos