Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

So my Broadwell-y tablet is now a toaster?

idata
Employee

Dell published a bios update for the Venue 11 Pro 7140 with Core M 5Y10 on 9th of January with the Meltdown/Spectre MicroCode patches. Of course I did pre and after benchmarks of PcMark, Geekbench and CrystalDiskMark. So... PcMark shows a 12% loss, but the SSD test is a pure disaster of a 60% loss.

Nice. A 60% loss ... 60%.

Opening normal tasks like Chrome ect ends in much higher CPU loads of about 80% and lags, where it was all fast and smooth before the bios update.

So my Core M tablet is now a toaster I guess?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

klumsch: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best to assist you with this scenario.

We are sorry to hear the tablet is not working properly after the installation of the microcode. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
HEnur
Beginner

Same here! Dell's Firmware Update A14 with Intel Microcode to mitigate Spectre / Meltdown CVE renders the Dell Venue 11 pro 7140 (Core M Broadwell) unusable! Even slight workloads like starting a browser (e.g. Edge or Firefox) take aeons to accomplish. Whole Windows usage gets completely sluggish! Please fix this - and do it fast!

idata
Employee

klumsch: I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

klumsch: I just received an update on this subject, Intel is still working on resolving the issue. In this case the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the devices manufacturer to get updates, Microcode patches can only be delivered via BIOS update, that is why we recommend checking directly with your system manufacturer and OS provided updates.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos