Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Something wrong with Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework

MHind
Beginner

I've been having some issues with Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework drivers. I have already described a part of my problem https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/CPU-downclocks-when-playing-games/td-p/6457938 here however I have now discovered more issues that are directly linked to Intel DPTF.

Whenever I boot up my computer I get the following event report under System:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date: 11-Dec-17 10:52:48

Event ID: 219

Task Category: (212)

Level: Warning

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: DESKTOP-KSLV7OU

Description:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

0x8000000000000000

System

DESKTOP-KSLV7OU

ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1

\Driver\WUDFRd

I have checked ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1 in the Device Manager and found it under Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Manager. This event appears once shortly after the computer boots up.

I have also been getting the following warnings under Application log which seem to be related to Intel DPTF services. These events happen ever 10-30 minutes.

Log Name: Application

Source: DptfPolicyLpmService

Date: 11-Dec-17 10:52:58

Event ID: 1

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Description:

The description for Event ID 1 from source DptfPolicyLpmService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

DptfPolicyLpmService

ConnectToDptfFrameworkDriver: SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces() failed.

Last error = [0x00000103]

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

0x80000000000000

Application

DESKTOP-KSLV7OU

DptfPolicyLpmService

ConnectToDptfFrameworkDriver: SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces() failed.

Last error = [0x00000103]

Log Name: Application

Source: DptfPolicyLpmService

Date: 11-Dec-17 10:52:58

Event ID: 1

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Description:

The description for Event ID 1 from source DptfPolicyLpmService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer ...

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello contra,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you are having problems with the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework. I apologize for any inconveniences that may have caused.

I would like to know the model of the computer you have please, or else the model of the processor / motherboard. This is to be able to find the solution in the most accurate way.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

Hello David, thank you for replying. My computer is HP ay102-nm and my processor is i5-7200U. I hope you can help me resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

After doing some research I discovered that \Driver\WUDFRd is Windows Driver Foundation service which is missing on my computer. I reinstalled windows a few days ago and the service was there but then it disappeared again. I have contacted Microsoft with regards to the service missing and they weren't able to offer any solution except for doing a windows upgrade reinstall which I just did and the service is still missing.

Below is a thread where a few people solved the warning related to \Driver\WUDFRd but to other devices (not Intel DPTF) by turning on Windows Driver Foundation which I don't have.

https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/268212-driver-driver-wudfrd-failed-load-device-error.html The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device... error - Windows 7 Help Forums

So I think the missing service might be the issue causing the "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1." warning.

I've tried reinstalling the driver but it has no effect.

So the question is why and how can a windows service just disappear? I have checked regedit and the service is listed there. Below are the values located under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WUDFRd\Enum:

As you can see ACPI\INT3400\2&daba3ff&1 which is Intel DPTF is located in this folder.

UPDATE: It appears that Windows Driver Foundation and its file wudfsvc.dll has been removed in 1709.

0 Kudos
绿朱
Novice

the lastet DPTF version for Windows 10 x64 is 8.3.10205.4743

0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner
0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

I was able to install the latest 8.3.10205.5196 driver but the problem remains.

Would the folks at Intel be kind enough and clarify whether the below DPTF services should be running?

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Config TDP Service Application

DptfPolicyConfigTDPService.exe

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Critical Service Application

DptfPolicyCriticalService.exe

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Low Power Mode Service Application

DptfPolicyLpmService.exe

Because the startup type of all of them is set to Automatic but the service status of all three is "Stopped". And as described I cannot start them.

0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

I downgraded to 1703 and the Windows Driver Foundation service was back and running. The 3 services I mentioned disappeared from the Services and so did the Application errors related to them. However the System warning message still appeared when I rebooted my computer but not when I shut it down and turned it on. I then updated to 1709 and the only service running in relation to Intel DPTF is esifsvc and 2 processes esif_uf.exe and dptf_helper.exe. Windows Driver Foundation has been removed in 1709. My CPU is still downclocking.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello i57200u,

Thank you for contacting Intel support,

I can see that you are still having problems with the clocking of the processor, I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

How are you checking the clock of the processor? What program are you using to check it? It is recommended to download the Intel® XTU and run a stress test to see if the clock is not reaching the actual frequencies it should:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

After running the test for at least 5 minutes please let us know the behavior of the frequency.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello i57200u,

I am following-up with your case and I see that we have not heard back from you,

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Were you able to solve your issue?

Do not hesitate to reply for further help!

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

Hi David, I wasn't able to fix my issue, the processor still downclocks to base frequency 2.49 GHz when it reaches 80°C. You can read about my problem /message/512672# 512672 here. I have updated my BIOS to the latest December F.40 version.

I've read about similar problems online and I suspect this behaviour is caused by Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver to protect the computer components against excessive heat. Can you confirm this? For some people the solution was to simply uninstall the Intel DPTF driver. I haven't tried this yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello i57200u,

Thank you for your response,

In regards to your question, the Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework is a driver that gets installed when you install Windows, according to our information it gets updated when you do Windows updates and sometimes the manufacturer of the system has the option to provide the link to download it, but that is something that needs to be check with the manufacturer of the computer. Same goes if you needed assistance to remove it.

The Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework is a software that helps managing power to the CPU vs temperature. Keeping CPU temperature down while still delivering adequate performance is its purpose.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Good response David.

Gee Mark, it sure sounds like the Framework is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. You should be happy that it is protecting your processor from thermal degradation. Yea, I know that the latest generation processors are running extra hot (due to Intel's greedy decision to save money and use TIM instead of solder), but that doesn't mean that you just give up and let thermals reduce its lifetime just for a few extra MIPs. You can uninstall the Framework if you like, but it should be obvious that I don't recommend that. A better answer is to reconfigure the Framework for a higher temperature -- but I wouldn't recommend setting it any higher than your processor's Tcontrol temperature.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

I do not plan on uninstalling it since I don't game much but it would be interesting to see if the driver really is causing this behaviour. What bothers me is how low the temperature threshold is set, 80°C seems a bit excessive. The other problem is that when it reaches 80°C with the dedicated GPU running it does not power throttle like it does with the integrated GPU running, it just automatically downclocks to 2.49 GHz and keeps it there.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It might seem excessive, but it actually might not be. You should display what your processor's Tcontrol temperature threshold is. Remember that significant amounts of time (i.e. I am not talking about spikes) spent at temperatures above this level could be exceeding the processor's Thermal Load Line (TLL) and, if it is, could cause silicon degradation (and shorten the processor's lifetime).

If you want to know what your (Desktop) processor's Tcontrol temperature is, read the IA32 Temperature Target MSR (address 0x01A2). Bits 16-23 specify the processor's Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax) and bits 8-15 specify the Tcontrol Offset. Subtract the Tcontrol Offset from the Tjmax value to get the Tcontrol temperature threshold. If you don't have a program that can display MSRs, I use a freeware tool called RWEverything.

Note that , if the Tcontrol Offset is 0 (zero), a Tcontrol temperature is not being provided for the processor. This will be the case in most Mobile and Embedded processors. I consider this unfortunate because the only number you then have to work with is Tjmax.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

Thanks for the information Scott. I haven't looked into these parameters yet. I find it interesting how the event ID warning related to the Intel DPTF driver appears only when I reboot my computer but not when I shut it down and boot up. The same goes for the "The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware..." warning. I've seen quite a few people with different computer manufacturers from Microsoft, Lenovo and HP are having these events pop up but so far no one has found any solution.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Interesting. On first glance, it looks like the BIOS, during soft reboots, may not be properly reinitializing things.

...S

0 Kudos
MHind
Beginner

Something is not working as it should and I am not getting any help from Intel or HP. I had to reinstall windows which removed all of the drivers and after installing Intel DPTF drivers its services started functioning properly although the warnings are still there. I also found the registry keys for Intel DPTF located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\48df9d60-4f68-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66 where there are 5 subfolders for:

Specify the Config TDP Level for Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

Specify the power limit for Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

Specify the acoustics cooling limit for Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

Specify the Lower Power Mode setting for Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

Enables Hardware Duty Cycling for Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework

I am also pretty sure that my fan is not working full speed when gaming because when I was updating the BIOS a few weeks ago the fan was super loud, about 2 times louder than while gaming.

0 Kudos