Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Suitable Replacement For Intel Core i5 7th Gen - Core i5-7500

Tomohawk_57
Beginner

I have a Dell Optiplex 3050 Desktop computer and it has an 

Intel Core i5 7th Gen - Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500 Desktop Processor

I need to replace, in order to be Windows 11 compliant.

I know very little about how to go about this, and every time I think I'm getting there, I'm led down a new path/issue, so I need some help.

From what I can gather the socket type is LGA 1151 (there is also a 1151 300 series, but I don't know if I should ignore this).

I use the computer for home and small business use (browsers, large MS Office files, streaming, YouTube Outlook email app etc)

I do not have a graphics card, so integrated graphics required.

I think I can find a CPU (Intel i* Core), but then I see that some have higher wattage, so I'm unclear if I need to consider a new cooler also.

What are the MUST HAVE considerations for replacement of a CPU?

What is best recommendation (in region of €200)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to ask dell what processors are supported by their bios for your machine.  Then, if those processors contain an 8th gen or later processor, check to see if microsoft supports it for Windows 11.

First step, check with dell.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Tomohawk_57
Beginner

Thanks for the support AlHill.

As it's outside warranty, it's not possible to speak directly to Dell. At least that is my understanding. I'm only allowed to communicate with the "Dell Community" and I'm not sure if that is the best place to get an (infallable) answer to your (my) question

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, whether dell support or dell forum, you have to know what processors are supported by their bios.  If, in that list, there is an 8th gen or later (doubtful), then you can check to make sure it is on Microsoft's supported list.

There is nothing that can be done here as we do not know what the dell bios supports.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos