Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Supported OS for i7 11th Gen

Anand
Beginner

Hi all,

I have buyed a laptop with processor i7 Core 1165G7 11th Generation. When I checked the compatibility matrix, I cannot see the supported OS for i7 11gen. The reason I am posting this question as I was trying to install OEL 7.8 but it seems that it is supported yet. I was getting an error as this processor hardware is not certified. Can someone please share a link where I can see a supported OS for i7 11gen?

Here is a link of compatibility:

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Processor%20OS%20Compatibility#

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Anand

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is not the Processor that is compatible with the OS.   It is the OS that is compatible with the processor. 

Was the OS written to use the processor?  That is the question.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Anand
Beginner

Hi AlHill,

Thank you for your response.

I have checked the OEL 7.8 & 8 version documentation. They have just mentioned that OS is supported with Intel x86_64 architecture, nothing else. No specific information related to generation of Intel processor i7. As I mentioned earlier, as per Intel's documentation, "Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Processors"  => "Processor OS compatibility" , I can see supported OS till 10th Gen and not for 11 Gen. 

https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Processor%20OS%20Compatibility# 

It seems that OEL or RedHat are not certified yet for 11th Gen but not sure as I am not getting any document/link for the same.

Regards,

Anand

0 Kudos
Jose_V_Intel

Hello Anand,

Hope you're doing well.

I want to let you know that for the 11th CPU Gen they support OEL 7.8 & 8. At this moment we don't have update it yet the list on the compatibleproducts link but we can assure you they support it; however, a high recommendation will be to check directly with the original equipment manufacturer of your motherboard since it is important to confirm the socket support for the compatibility with the OS.

Regards.

Jose V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos