Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14500 Discussions

Suspicios CPU noise

Mtrainer
Beginner
I bought in January 2021 an HP laptop, with Intel i5 1135g7 processor, 11th generation, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. For about a month I noticed by chance that I hear an electric sound, a kind of continuous humming and with different intensities in the CPU processor area. Is that noise normal?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The CPU does not make noise.   But, a poorly designed motherboard/device does.   Contact HP for support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11, aka the next Vista, has a centered task bar and lots of HYPE]

0 Kudos
Mtrainer
Beginner
I have already contacted HP and they told me to send the laptop to the service for verification. After I received it from the service, I was informed that they changed the motherboard. When I turned on the laptop I found that the noise was still present and not receiving the motherboard changed as proof of replacement, I decided to send it back to service. And after the second check the motherboard was again changed (I saved the Serial Number for the latest motherboard) and the noise, just like the first time, was present. For these reasons, I decided to post my problem on the Intel forum and receive expert advice. The motherboard is Intel, model 87.FE and the laptop is HP 15S-FQ2012NQ. Please help me!
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, HP is responsible for all support and warranty of your laptop.  Work this out with HP.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11, aka the next Vista, has a centered task bar and lots of HYPE]

0 Kudos
Mtrainer
Beginner
I will obviously continue to address HP. I would have liked to know other opinions of expert users. So, it could be a manufacturing or design problem, but since 3 motherboards were practically successively mounted on the laptop and the noise was always present?
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Mtrainer 

If the noise you are hearing in the CPU area, it can be generated by the Cooling Blower. You may download and run free HWiNFO64 application.  Check in the Sensors section the Cooling Blower RPM change with the CPU temperature change. Check if the noise change corelates to the blower RPM. If you find that this is a blower, making noise, ask to replace it. But you should know that in high RPM, it is normal to hear the blower.

Leon

Mtrainer
Beginner
Sorry but the noise is not related to the cooler fan functioning. It can be heared from the moment laptop is power on.
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

The Cooling Blower is working from the moment the laptop is powered ON. 

Leon

Mtrainer
Beginner
I recorded the noise, but I dont know how to post it.
0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Mtrainer, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I would like to let you know that, as the community mentioned, this could be related to the CPU fan, and in the rare case that is the processor itself that is making the noise the best action to take would be to replace the unit.

Since you have a laptop, you are not able to replace only the processor or the socket (even if it were a motherboard), I recommend you to get in contact with the laptop manufacturer and check for possible troubleshooting steps or warranty options.

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos