Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

System get rebooted during intel processor diagnostics tool ,is my i3 failing ?

SKant3
Beginner

I am using intel core i3 4130 with dh87mc motherboard ,I'm facing this boot cycle and random reboot problem since long ,I tried to check and found that when system don't work i.e. reboots again again then there is a red light on near Prochot ,when there is a reboot cycle then that red light blinks and reboots and sometimes it just continuously on with no response on monitor ,just a blank monitor ,interestingly i found when i put mainline off and it goes to UPS backup it start again but that reboot cycle stuck it then . strange part it doesn't happen always .I am using dualboot ,win 7 and ubuntu 18.04 .there are times when i opened few windows in chrome and android studio and my pc got freezes and it works only after i reboot/reset . I searched over internet and found that rebootcycle or overheat may be sign of processor failing so i downloaded processor diagnostics tool from intel website but I'm not capable of test because as soon as it reaches around prime/floating point test it just restarts again and again ,How can i test then ,is my cpu failing ? please help ,thank you !

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your power supply could be failing. Try a different power supply.

You could be overheating. Make sure you have adequate ventilation and that the heatsink is clean of dust. Also, you may want to replace/redo the thermal paste.

You could be suffering from component failure.

Doc

0 Kudos
SKant3
Beginner

thanks for your response but I don't feel my power supply failing as its requirement same as this and my power supply is corsair vs450 so don't feel its anywhere weak to handle . you can check power supply specifications here , about thermal paste then applied new paste few days back ,though the problem is same as before , about ventilation then also i don't feel its a problem as my cabinet is big enough and have 140 mm fan ,its Antec VSK 4000 U3 and have enough space :( not capable of doing processor diagnostics test , its rebooting at a particular point perhaps ,there comes a black window with moving dots and it goes off during test :(

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So, processors can go bad, but power supplies cannot?

Also, try different memory.

Doc

0 Kudos