Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

TDP i9 12900k

Mikeemike
Beginner

Hello, currently I have an i7 8700k with a TDP of 95W and I want to upgrade my CPU to an i9 12900k but I can't find wich is the TPD of this CPU is, in the specifications it says base power 125w and turbo power 241w, and with Overclock it will be even more than 241w, but the real TDP of this CPU is not specified anywhere, so motherboard vendors assign 125w of TDP for their motherboards for this CPU, when Intel specifies that it is the base power and nowhere does it really put the TDP of this CPU.

A very critical and necessary information to be omitted, to be able to decide wich motherboard i will buy that support the TDP of that CPU.

Thx. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Mikeemike

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. Please let me investigate this request and I will post the updates on the thread. 

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Mikeemike
Beginner

Hello David, i appreciate your help and any information you can give me about it.

Thx.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @Mikeemike

Following the information from Ark and the datasheet, the Processor Base Power will be the "new" TDP. You can use that as the minimum heat value that the processor will dissipate when the processor is at base frequency. The maximum sustained power dissipation of the processor as limited by current and/or temperature controls. Instantaneous power may exceed Maximum Turbo Power for short durations. Maximum Turbo Power is configurable by system vendor and can be system specific. 

Here is more information:

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Mikeemike
Beginner

Yes, this wat say in the dropdown button marked as ? where is 125w and 241w.

And I suppose that if my liquid cooling is able to dissipate 300w, I will not have problems.

Well, thx for your help.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We're glad to know the information helped, if your cooling system can dissipate 300w that will be enough for this processor. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

David G  

0 Kudos