Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

TPM on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930k CPU @ 3.20GHz?

mustache77
Beginner

Can TPM be added or is it already in a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930k CPU @ 3.20GHz Processor?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Unless your motherboard has a socket/header for a tpm adapter, you are out of luck.  Besides, Windows 11 is not going to support 3rd gen processors, so it is time for you to upgrade to a system with an 8th gen or greater processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
mustache77
Beginner

The  P9X79LE Asus motherboard has a socket/header for a tpm adapter (20-1 pin), that means I should be OK.

John

0 Kudos
mustache77
Beginner

Why do you think Win 11 is going to be the next Vista?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is true that an installed 2.0 TPM (or equivalent, but this doesn't apply in your case) is a prerequisite for Windows 11, but as it stands now, production releases of Windows 11 will support only 8th gen or later Intel processors. There is a small chance that it will support 7th gen processors (though Microsoft only said this once and has been pretty mum ever since), but there is likely no chance at all of 3rd generation processors (like yours) being supported. Microsoft has made the decision to limit the processors that they will support so that they can do a better job of supporting the processors that they do. I personally think that this is a major problem; they are forgetting about all the people who simply cannot afford to replace their older systems. Telling folks that they can stay with Windows 10 when Windows 10 is obviously being defocused is simply insulting everyone's intelligence.

I also think that, in spite of their efforts, Windows 11 will be no more stable that Windows 10 is or Windows 7 was (we won't talk about the other Vistas that fell in-between). They can blame the hardware companies' drivers for this all they want. Forcing them over and over and over to go to new driver models is accomplishing nothing but eating away at the time that is available to actually debug these drivers. It's the same horrible story that is going on with Metro.

Sorry, but this appears to be reality,

...S

0 Kudos