Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

TURBO Boost

techsun
Beginner

I am using Linux OS and I am trying to off turbo boost with this command "echo "1" | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo". But when I checked for validation from this command "grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo". It showed me different frequency. Can anyone please suggest me a command for off Turbo boost without an intervening BIOS setting.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
HadiBrais
New Contributor III

By how much does the frequency vary? Note that disabling Turbo Boost only guarantees that the frequency of a core to never exceed the base core frequency, but it may become smaller depending on the frequency scaling governor and possibly also the BIOS settings.

If you disabled no_turbo and the core frequency still exceeds the base core frequency, then try to disable Turbo in the BIOS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HadiBrais
New Contributor III

By how much does the frequency vary? Note that disabling Turbo Boost only guarantees that the frequency of a core to never exceed the base core frequency, but it may become smaller depending on the frequency scaling governor and possibly also the BIOS settings.

If you disabled no_turbo and the core frequency still exceeds the base core frequency, then try to disable Turbo in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@techsun 

Beside what Hadi wrote, you may also take into account the notion of  the "best core". If you are investigating the highest boost rate CPU-wide (per every core) of course.

-- Bernard

0 Kudos