Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Target temps for i9 12900k

AnsgarTOdinson
Beginner
Can someone give me an idea of what kind of temps I should be shooting for and what temps I should look out for with the i9 12900k? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there.  I am especially wanting to know what temps I should look for under heavy load.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel will tell you that anything that stays below the Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax, the temperature where PROCHOT is asserted and the processor protects itself by throttling performance), but I think that this is asinine guidance. My rules are that the processor, while under load, should keep its sustained temperatures below 90 (all temperatures in Celsius). Very short duration spikes up into the 90s are ok, but should not be reaching 100c (the typical Tjmax).

Now, all that said, there are other factors to take into account. Remember that some heat from the processor will bleed off into the motherboard itself and will affect components around the processor. Similarly, heat being exhausted in the air from the processor cooling system can also affect other components. You don't have to worry about the Chipset (PCH component); it can sustain temperatures similar to that of the processor, but many other components are unhappy with temperatures above 80.

Bottom line, you are going to have to find your balance between the acoustics necessary to keep your system cool and the under-load temperatures you will allow to be sustained.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

There is no "i9 2900k".

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
AnsgarTOdinson
Beginner

Yeah, it was a late nite typo. Missed a number. i9 12900k.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel will tell you that anything that stays below the Maximum Junction Temperature (Tjmax, the temperature where PROCHOT is asserted and the processor protects itself by throttling performance), but I think that this is asinine guidance. My rules are that the processor, while under load, should keep its sustained temperatures below 90 (all temperatures in Celsius). Very short duration spikes up into the 90s are ok, but should not be reaching 100c (the typical Tjmax).

Now, all that said, there are other factors to take into account. Remember that some heat from the processor will bleed off into the motherboard itself and will affect components around the processor. Similarly, heat being exhausted in the air from the processor cooling system can also affect other components. You don't have to worry about the Chipset (PCH component); it can sustain temperatures similar to that of the processor, but many other components are unhappy with temperatures above 80.

Bottom line, you are going to have to find your balance between the acoustics necessary to keep your system cool and the under-load temperatures you will allow to be sustained.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AnsgarTOdinson
Beginner
This helps a ton thanks. Thus far the highest peak I have seen under load is 88c. It seems to mostly hover between 80 and 84. This was on a 35c day wirh no AC.

Ill take it then that my temps are good.
0 Kudos
ocknu
Beginner
hello tried a program called CPU Stress Test v0.20.01 a.exe

and within 5secs the temp on the cores where up to 100celus. i stopped program at that. is the cpu bad or is the program bypassing safety protocols.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is normal in a stress test, but only for a short while. Throttling should be preventing the temperatures from climbing higher (not that you can tell unless it thermtrips). Your cooling solution should be catching up and lowering temperatures away from Tjmax. If not, it is either inadequate, misconfigured or improperly installed.

...S

0 Kudos
AnsgarTOdinson
Beginner

When I first built my system, my cooler was not properly installed.  I removed it and saw via the paste that the cooler was only making contact on about half of the surface.

Once installed properly, my CPU now runs at about 33c normally, 60c under load, and never spikes above 70c. 

0 Kudos
Nat_Lort
Beginner

I had a supplemental question.

Our processor package temperature oscillates between 65-75C, however our application does bring 1 core to full usage on a regular basis. That one core will be at 90C and sometime 95C for long periods of time.

I'm trying to modify our programming here to fix this, however I wanted to know if I'm presently damaging the unit?

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, and how is your acoustics?

...S

0 Kudos
AnsgarTOdinson
Beginner

Super quiet.  I am using an NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm.  I have 6 fans mounted to the radiator in a push/pull config.  Noctua on the back, and my RGB fans on the front.  I rarely hear the fans.  Oh, and my cpu has been overclocked to 5.5ghz by the armoury crate AI overclocking

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

OMG, that radiator, with fans attached, must be awkward. How did you mount it?

...S

0 Kudos
AnsgarTOdinson
Beginner

Not awkward at all.  I used a case that had all the room necessary, with plenty to spare.  External 01.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-12 134902.png

0 Kudos