Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Temperature Range i5-1035G1

Danpc5
Beginner

Hello,

I bought a new laptop a week ago and I noticed it seemed to be getting to hot while being used, so I installed HWMonitor to check the temperatures. 

Turns out that it does seem to be getting pretty hot while on regular use (with no games or any heavy programs running). The temperature never goes down the 55°C - 60°C range but there are peaks of 90°C, 100°C.

I also notice it changes very quickly, oscillating a lot. Sometimes it goes up 20°C in a matter of second before soon going down again a another second. That's the case with the peaks I mentioned, it never really stays that hot, just gets there and instantly starts to go down... Also, it goes up with no actual activity change, just the same programs opened and it keeps going up and down... 

I don't see any performance issues so far but the fan does seem to work more often than on previous laptops. 

Is it normal behavior? Should I be worried about it? 

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with: 

- i5-1035G

- 8G DDR4 Memory 

- 256GB SSD 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

How old is this laptop? With age, there can be a buildup of dust and gunk in the cooling ducts and chambers and in the associated blowers. Take the system outside and, using a can of compressed air, direct its airflow into each of the the laptop's inlets and blow out as much of the dust and gunk as you can.

If this doesn't drop the temperatures to more-normal levels (seeing 40-50c at idle, 80-90c while very busy and never seeing any spikes of significant duration above 90), you may need to have the laptop serviced. This involves taking the laptop apart and manually cleaning the blowers and the cooling ducts and chambers.

In cases where the laptop is much older, it is possible that the thermal interface material (TIM, slang: heatsink paste) has dried up or separated and is not adequately passing the heat from the processor to the heatsink(s). The heatsink(s) will need to be lifted off the processor, the surfaces of the processor and heatsink(s) cleaned thoroughly and new TIM put in place.

Hope this helps. It not, there are all sorts of videos on YouTube that show the necessary processes.

...S

0 Kudos
Danpc5
Beginner

Thanks. It's a brand new laptop, I just bought it a week ago from the store. Could it be some sort of defect? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It very well may be. I suggest you contact the storefront's support folks.

...S

0 Kudos