Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Temperature i9-13900KF

nairam
Novice

Screenshot of cpu Core i9 13900KF overheating according to load. The cooler is fan-type 'NZXT T120 Black' and Arctic MX4 cooling paste. Are temperature values reaching +100c normal? I don't use overclocking. The value in BIOS 'Biscuit CPU' was 82.250 and dropped to 81.474.cpuloadtemp.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nairam
Novice

Quick solution:
1. Run "Core Temp" and load the CPU to 100% with CPU-Z --> StressCPU
2. Set manual turbo limit in BIOS according to "Max" values ​​for each core separately from CoreTemp.

BIOS/Tweaker/Advanced CPU Setings/ -->bottom "Turbo Per Core Limit Control"

example: before value 55, set to 41 in BIOS turbo limit

Now the CPU during 100% load all cores will not exceed +75c

This solution will probably reduce performance, but it is still sufficient.

So my question is, is it normal for this CPU 13900KF that at 100% load of all cores and 5.5GHz it cannot be cooled to max. +75c with fan cooler? If so, we can close the discussion.

core_temp.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Tell us more about what your motherboard's fan speed control is doing. What is the shape of its response curve for the processor fan? What is the shape of its response curve for chassis fans (which you should have if you are using air cooling solution)?

...S

0 Kudos
nairam
Novice

the setting is like this:

cpu_fan.jpgsys_fan1.jpg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Have you verified that the fan is indeed reacting according to this configuration?

...S

0 Kudos
nairam
Novice

I use Windows 11, at +100c I can hear the fan spinning at full speed. When I turn off the load, the temperature drops in 2-3 seconds. The fan will also reduce the speed. I replaced the original 'NZXT T120 Black' cpu fan with an "Industrial" one that has up to 3000 rpm, 4pin, 120mm.

0 Kudos
Franknight
Beginner

Hi Nairam, I know this thread is old and solved, but I just wanted to let you know that your cooling solution NZXT T120 Black is not optimal. There are better solutions available that have higher ratings and better performance for the same price. It's probably too late to return your Fan/Cooler, but for anyone else reading this thread that might benefit from doing a little more research can find a better air-cooling only solution.

I hesitate to recommend specific brands or models, but it is certainly worth the time to look around and read more reviews. 

I'm putting in this processor this week and will report back with stats. 

Also, some people many not know, but keeping the room in which your rig resides cool is also important for cooling. If your room is 90F then getting your CPU cooler with air only is going to be a challenge.

0 Kudos
nairam
Novice

Hi Franknight, I found with a thermal camera where to place the second fan on the PC case.fan_optimalization.jpg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the fan is at 100% and the temperature is still rising to the Tjmax level, then the cooling solution is either improperly installed (incorrectly applied TIM) or inadequate to the task. In the latter case, a better solution is necessary. 

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
nairam
Novice

Thank you for your review. I will try to improve the cooling again.

0 Kudos
nairam
Novice

Today I put a lot of Arctic MX4 thermal paste in the shape of a star between the cpu and the heatsink. So that it fills the entire surface, including the edges. To almost leak out. It didn't help. Still at 100% load, the temperature rises to +100c and the fans at maximum speed.. I'm not new to PC building. I composed the first ~25 years ago.

XTU_stres_test.jpg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Not necessarily a bad thing for a temperature spike to Tjmax - if it's indeed just a spike. So, what happens if you wait? Do you see the fan(s) starting to have an affect? If so, how long does it take and how far down does it pull the processor temperature? Does it have a similar affect on the PCH temperature?

...S

0 Kudos
nairam
Novice

Quick solution:
1. Run "Core Temp" and load the CPU to 100% with CPU-Z --> StressCPU
2. Set manual turbo limit in BIOS according to "Max" values ​​for each core separately from CoreTemp.

BIOS/Tweaker/Advanced CPU Setings/ -->bottom "Turbo Per Core Limit Control"

example: before value 55, set to 41 in BIOS turbo limit

Now the CPU during 100% load all cores will not exceed +75c

This solution will probably reduce performance, but it is still sufficient.

So my question is, is it normal for this CPU 13900KF that at 100% load of all cores and 5.5GHz it cannot be cooled to max. +75c with fan cooler? If so, we can close the discussion.

core_temp.jpg

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello nairam,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you were having issues with your Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF Processor.

I will review all the information provided and get back to you as soon as I have a response.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello nairam,

Please be aware that it is not a bad thing to have this spikes when doing the test, as long as the temperature is under the supported temperature (Tjunction 100°C).

There are three common reasons for power limit throttling.

• Processor Power Limits PL1/PL2 is set too low in Intel® XTU.
  • Core Voltage limit is set too low in XTU.
  • The system doesn’t have sufficient cooling and power delivery.

I recommend you to make sure your system is properly cooled, as there are some notifications of some fan failure. We cannot confirm the information on third-party tools, and cehcking the XTU image, the temperatures seem ok. In any case, you can run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and verify if it reports any failure.

You may check the RAM is running under specifications with no XMP profile enabled.

Then, if you still require assistance, download the Intel® SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
nairam
Novice

Tnax for reply. I don't change settings I don't understand. I leave the default values. I replaced the fan in the cooler with a higher speed (3000rpm) and reduced the turbo limit for each core separately. According to how it was heated at 100% load. The processor does not crash, does not freeze. It works correctly.

Default Core #1 heated up the least. Core #7 was the most heated. By testing I found the optimal setting:

turbo_limit.jpg

Then the temperature is equalized for all cores.

Thanks for the answers. At first, the high temperatures scared me. I had an i7-5960X before and it had +60 +70c at 100% load.

<REMOVED>

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since everything seems to be working fine now, we will proceed to close this thread.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos