Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

The CPU Current Throttled

drew1moore_TTV
Beginner

I just ran my first test using the Intel XTU software and I assume "The CPU Current Throttled" message I am seeing is in relation to what my motherboard is able to handle for the CPU?   It's paired mostly with "The CPU ExternalVR Throttled".  I'm hoping someone can provide a little more details as to what these would be in relation to.The CPU Current Throttled.png

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
drew1moore_TTV
Beginner

See the attached for more details on the system.  I am running these tests mainly because I am seeing stuttering from my GPU and I think the motherboard is not capable of handling the requirements for the CPU and GPU on the intensive games I play.  I've already done so much to try to figure this out and checked temps, etc, and all seem to be within reason.  Reset Windows, tested overclocking, turned it off, updated motherboard BIOS with no success in resolving the issue.  I've added other things to show the problem experienced.

GPU Performance 2.png

GPU Performance.png

Playing Warframe.png

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Which stress test were you running?
  2. Is the processor overclocked?
  3. Did you enable Intel® XMP? If so, at which frequency?

Regarding the issue with the stuttering on games, please share with us the following information:

1. When did the issue start happening?
  2. In which games or apps does it happen?
  3. Have you checked the issue with the GPU manufacturer?
  4. Picture of the task manager under the performance and the processes tab. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
drew1moore_TTV
Beginner

I personally believe this is actually an issue with the motherboard as it is an entry level ASRock motherboard (H310CM-HDV).  I spoke with AMD and they suggested I perform some actions which I had, with no change.  The main concern here is not necessarily the CPU or the GPU as I don't believe they're the problem.  When I run Destiny 2 and Streamlabs OBS, the CPU and GPU both run at around 60% utilization.  RAM is up to about 3500 MB out of 16 GB total.

1. Which stress test were you running?    I am running a multitude of tests: AMD's stress test in the AMD Radeon Software, 3DMark benchmark test, Heaven benchmark, Cinebench.  So, 3 benchmarking tools and 1 GPU stress test.  Additionally I ran Sapphire TRIXX to capture the performance issues experienced while gaming and streaming, and without streaming.
  2. Is the processor overclocked?  The CPU is not overclocked.  I overclocked it in the BIOS but reverted back to its default settings by loading the default BIOS image again.  I reverted back as the difference between overclocking and not overclocked were insignificant.
  3. Did you enable Intel® XMP? If so, at which frequency? XMP is enabled in the BIOS for the RAM and it is set to 2666.  This too has no effect on my gaming with the loss of frames.

Regarding the issue with the stuttering on games, please share with us the following information:

1. When did the issue start happening?  The issue began shortly after overclocking the GPU and CPU and reverting back.  This started perhaps a day and a half later.
  2. In which games or apps does it happen?  This only happens when playing graphics intensive games such as Destiny 2 and Warframe.  I did see some minor performance issues in GTA V but cannot see a difference in frame loss like Destiny 2.  That game experienced such significant frame loss, such as what is depicted in the provided screenshots.
  3. Have you checked the issue with the GPU manufacturer?  I did check the issue with AMD, but from the testing performed, it didn't appear it to be an issue with the GPU specifically.  I swapped out to a GeForce GT 710 GPU and the same occurred just running Destiny 2 in medium graphics output.
  4. Picture of the task manager under the performance and the processes tab. 

I have added videos as well from my google drive showing the drops occurring when playing Destiny 2.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12yHX2Xor4zuyXfIqCOnN6b5wt9Ad8s2s/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y3Mt__TBkB3Xn-iXjllsR-lLuT_vB0lr/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

Thank you for the information provided, please download and run our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, this will run a series of tests to check if the processor is working as expected. Please attach a screenshot of the results to your response. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html

Also, please let me know if you have already checked the issue with the motherboard manufacturer. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drew1moore_TTV
Beginner

Here is the result of the test Josue.

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

Thank you for the information provided, as per the test results, it seems the processor is working fine with no issues. Please let me know if you reached the motherboard manufacturer. Also, is it possible to test the processor in another system? 

Regarding the overclocking, please let me know the frequency in which the processor was set when performing the overclocking. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drew1moore_TTV
Beginner

Josue,

I think the rate it was set at is a moot point because it has been reverted back to its default settings.  I don't plan on setting the CPU to an overclocked state as I don't find there to be a need to generate any further stress on it.  At $300+, I am not interested in stressing the CPU any further than what it is under normal load with streaming and gaming.

Drew

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Current Throttling is most-definitely a motherboard (BIOS implementation) issue. It has nothing to do with the processor (well, other than the processor is contributing to overall power consumption). If this is a desktop motherboard, the BIOS should provide configuration parameters for the control of this throttling. If it does not, well, it's entry-level junk AFAIAC.

Reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

1. Did you change any other settings about the processor? Such as voltage or similar. 
  2. What happens if you disable the eGPU and use only the integrated graphics?
  3. Have you checked that the fans and power supply are working correctly? Is there a way to swap test these components?
  4. Can you test another motherboard or processor? 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drew1moore_TTV
Beginner
Josue,

As I mentioned I did change some settings in the BIOS for overclocking the CPU but I changed it back to the default BIOS profile. I did not try the integrated while gaming since I that was not something AMD recommended. I bought a new motherboard and put that in but it didn't work. I won't have a new motherboard until tomorrow. The power supply works just fine.
0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

Thank you for the information provided, we will wait for you to get the new motherboard and test it. Let us know the results.

Also, it is important for you to know that using the processor outside of specifications can permanently damage the component, causing the system to not work as it was before the changes. In case you remember which settings you change or the frequency you were using please let us know since it could be helpful to try to determine if the processor was damaged during the time it was running different parameters than the stock ones. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
drew1moore_TTV
Beginner

Josue,

It would appear that any issue that was present against the CPU appears to be cleared up.  It was not an issue with the motherboard at all, rather the power supply on my system was going bad.  It for some reason was failing to provide adequate power to my CPU and other components.  I swapped out my EVGA - W1 Series 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply for a CORSAIR - RM Series RM750 PSU.  Things are running smooth and with the IXT software suggested to run, I only saw one thing in a 3 minute period on the CPU rather than hundreds of 'The CPU Current Throttled".  I believe there may be some minor damage to my GPU but I will be working that out with the seller of the GPU to see if I can get this replaced and verified it is resolved.  This issue can be marked as closed.

Drew

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello drew1moore_TTV

I am glad to hear that the issue is now solved and everything is working fine. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos