Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

The new Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) 6.5 sometimes causes windows 10 to freeze/restart on wake up

JJJ00
Novice

After updating to the new version 6.5 which runs on UWP and installs Component drivers, I had a problem, that "sometime" not always, windows will freeze/restart on wake up.

I took me a while to find out that Intel XTU was the reason, I trid both 6.5 versions 6.5.0.114 and 6.5.1.321, and the problem is confirmed.

I restored the old version 6.4.1.25 and no problems, no freezes or restarting,

My laotop is MSI GT83VR 7RF Titan SLI, 64GB ram, all the latest drivers installed, Windows 10 1809 with latest cumulative updates (437).

My CPU is Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK, and I have latest bios/EC, latest microcode update from Microsoft KB4465065 0x8E

I can confirm with absolute certainty that the new version 6.5 with Component drivers is the reason.

The freezes/restating occur upon waking up after sleep, and it is occasionally.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
JJJ00, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system, please provide the SSU report for us to verify the components of your platform: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Additionally, to disregard a possible problem with the processor, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, if the unit passed the test then it means it is working properly: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JJJ00, Thank you very much for providing the report. Did the processor pass the Intel ® Processor Diagnostics Tool test? Did you check the temperarture in the report? Are you doing overclcoking? Did you change the voltage values of the processor? The reason why we want to confirm the above information is because altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. If the laptop gets overheated it will start to get freeze and throttle, please try to completely uninstall the Intel® XTU, get into the BIOS and load the default settings, reboot the computer and try to install the application again. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JJJ00
Novice

Did the processor pass the Intel ® Processor Diagnostics Tool test? Yes, all pass, green

Did you check the temperarture in the report? yes, didn't excrrd 70. i live in Sweden

Are you doing overclcoking? No

Did you change the voltage values of the processor? No

Didn't change bios settings

Again, there is no problem in the version 6.4, only when updating to 6.5

It is a bug in Intel xtu 6.5

I will report again when updating to windows may release1903

Again, no overclocking, no changing of default settings, just updating to Intel XTU 6.5 will cause the problem, restoring 6.4 will solve the problem

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JJJ00, Thank you very much for providing those details. We will try to replicate this scenario in our lab, as soon as I get any results I will post all the updates in this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JJJ00, I just received an update on this matter. I tried to replicate the issue in our lab, we install the Intel® XTU, set the computer to sleep mode and the issue was not replicated, we even left it sleeping overnight and there was no freeze or restart in the system. Even though you mentioned that the BIOS settings are the same and previous versions of Intel® XTU worked just fine, maybe we can try for testing purposes to disable Intel® speed step, this feature reduces the energy consumption of the battery and it could be the reason why the computer and the application are getting freeze when coming out of sleep mode. Please do the same if you using a power management profile, what we are trying to accomplish is for the battery to be running at full capacity to verify if the problem persists that way. Additionally, please test the laptop in safe mode and run the Intel® XTU application to confirm if the behavior is the same. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JJJ00, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
JJJ00, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos