Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14531 Discussions

There is no information about RAM value that Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 supports

AProk7
Beginner

Hi.

Sorry for my English (it's not my native language).

Recently I have upgraded CPU for my old notebook Toshiba Satellite L300-144. It was been setup Intel Core 2 Duo T8300.

Everything is Ok, but unfortunately When I setup 4Gb RAM, OS windows 7 x64 don't starts. 

I can't anywhere find an information about a RAM value that this processor supports. 

Hope, someone have information about it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You upgraded the processor on the Satellite L300-144 to a newer processor, the T8300 - is that correct?

And, you upgraded the memory as well, to 4gb, and that is when W7 failed to start?

How did you determine that the T8300 was supported by the Toshiba BIOS? Just because it "seems" to work does not mean it is compatible. You must check with Toshiba, or a Toshiba compatibility list to determine if the T8300 is supported.

Now, the memory. What is the maximum amount of memory supported by the L300-144? I checked, and it is 2gb. Just because the memory you upgraded to fits the sockets does not mean it should work.

http://www.toshiba.eu/discontinued-products/satellite-l300-144/#

So, you were lucky that you seem to have a processor that is working, but you failed to check the specifications from Toshiba regarding memory.

Also, the T8300 is from 2008.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33099/intel-core-2-duo-processor-t8300-3m-cache-2-40-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html

Doc

0 Kudos
AProk7
Beginner

As to processor T8300, my notebook work properly with it and 3GB RAM for a long time.

I'd like expand RAM until 4 GB, but in spite of BIOS determines it correctly (all of 4GB), Windows starts download and then crashes.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Toshiba wrote the document which contained the memory restriction. What you are not considering is the memory controller/chipset which, if I recall from back then, limited physical memory to 3gb. Yes, I had an old laptop with a T7700, and it was limited to 3gb, even though I had 4gb in it, and the bios recognized it, but the OS only saw 3gb.

But, do not shoot the messenger. It is Toshiba's laptop and integration, not Intel's. If you have a problem, you need to contact Toshiba which, from what I understand, no longer deals in laptops.

Now, my question to you is, considering this is an eleven year old processor, why even bother? Spend your time and money on something current and that is supported. Regarding W7, you only have four months of support left. So, again, why bother?

Doc

0 Kudos
AProk7
Beginner

It's no object for me whether Microsoft will be support Windows 7 or not.

To my mind this is the last version of Windows witch is may used.

Both of next OS versions (8 and 10) cause only one feeling - annoyance.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should voice your opinion to Microsoft. Doing it here is like complaining to Dixie Cup about the coffee.

Doc

0 Kudos