Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
LChow1
Beginner

anyone know if this method works?

0 Kudos
ICitr
Novice

csunny95;

I'm not sure that that article addresses the problem. The 7700 and 7700K are handling stress quite well and at low temperatures and for extended periods. The issue is temperature spiking like, 30C to 70C back to 30C over 3 seconds for something as mundane as opening a browser window. Firstly, how can the temperature go from 30C to 70C in 1 second? (I wonder if it's not actually a temperature sensing/reporting problem) Secondly, it makes for very noisy systems as all the fans continually cycle up to a 100% and back down to 0%. The fan controllers are doing their job such that when they read a temperature of 70C they rightly follow their fan profiles. But, they really don't need to spin up at all as it's just a 1 second aberration.

So, it's not strictly an over-heating problem.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

Some people in reddit suggest to change the vcore setting in bios. I don't have my pc with me now, so I can't test if this method fix the problem or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/5oxh4l/i7_7700k_temps_are_quite_concerning/ i7 7700k temps are quite concerning. : intel

M.I.T. > Advanced Voltage Settings > Advanced Power Settings

Change CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration to Turbo (this provides a much more consistent voltage to the CPU). Use the space bar to toggle between available settings.

Then, M.I.T. > Advanced Voltage Settings > CPU Core Voltage Controls

Change Vcore (first setting on the list) from auto to 1.200V. Just type in 1.200.

Another thing you'll want to change if you haven't yet is to make sure the Memory X.M.P. is set to Profile 1 so that the optimal DRAM settings for your specific DRAM sticks are used. This is also found in the M.I.T. settings.

F10 to save and reboot. Verify voltage and temp reduction with a tool like HWMonitor.

Also, avoid any of the Gigabyte overclocking utilities as they tend to overwrite your BIOS settings that you set manually. Only work in the BIOS directly.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

The spike temperature issue doesn't have anything to do with Vcore setting, Vcore Loadline calibration, XMP, or if your CPU is OC'ed or not or if you are running the CPU Aircooled or Watercooled, Intel can tells you what they want or makes you believe what they want, and let me tell you one more thing, Intel suggest testing your CPU in another Motherboard or with differents Coolers, that's all BS.

Nice one intel, you want people to believe that maybe the Motherboard or the Cooling method used could be the problem, all what you are doing is making people to waste their time.

All what you have suggested from post # 1 to the last one it's senseless.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Intel,

Can u plz tell me why this 1 core is alot higher temp than others. And I have those AFK peak teams too on my prosessor..if i open browser my temps will go like from 30 => max 60 why?

I want to get new replacement for this prosessor from Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And my setup where..

i7 7700K CPU

ASUS Maximus IX Hero

Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080

2 x 8G G.Skill Trident Z DDR4, 3200MHZ

Corsair Hydro H115i

EVGA 750w SuperNova 750 G3

Fractual Design Define R5

+ I have 4 x14mm fan inside Fractual Desing R5

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Хотелось бы услышать комментарий от представителя Intel.

Не проходит тест

Processor Model: i7-7700k

Motherboard Brand: Asus

Motherboard Model: z170 pro gaming

BIOS Version: 3016

RAM Part Number: Patriot, PSD416G21332 x2

OS installed: Windows 7

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070, GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD

0 Kudos
cdarn
Novice

Give us some feedback Intel!!!

Should we all RMA the shit?

NDe_S1
Novice

Same problem here, idle 25°/30° and for no reason whatever spikes up to 70° for 1 second.

My system:

Asus Hero IX Z270 / BIOS 0801

i7-7700K @5Ghz (same behavior stock speed)

Corsair H100i V2 AIO cooler

Corsair DDR4 4X 8GB 3400Mhz Vengance LED

Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070

Hope Intel comes up with a solution soon!

0 Kudos
ALamb3
Novice

Hello.

I found that my i7-7700K under 100% load shows 90-100 C degrees, but in reality CPU cooler is warm, not hot at all.

Yes, of course I tried to re-mount CPU cooler, reassemble it's mounting part on motherboard, reapply thermal paste - nothing changed, cooler was little warm, not hot.

I came to shop, where I bought PC and we made following tests:

• My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + my Intel i7-7700K + my CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
  • My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + my Intel i7-7700K + another CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
  • My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + another CPU i7-7700K + another CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct
  • My motherboard (Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3) + another CPU i7-7700K + CPU cooler Thermalright Arrow Silver
  • Another motherboard, also Gigabyte H270 Gaming 3 + another CPU i7-7700K + CPU cooler Thermalright Arrow Silver
  • Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming + another CPU i7-7700K + CPU cooler Thermalright Arrow Silver
  • Motherboard Asus Z270F ROG Strix + another CPU i7-7700K + another CPU cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct

In total we tested 4 motherboards, 3 CPUs i7-7700K, 3 coolers. In all cases we run Prime 95 Small FFT test to heat up CPU to 90-100 degrees (yes, throttling was enabled at 100 C). We left test running for 5 minutes in each case. Then tested real temperature by finger.

In all cases cooler temperature was little bit warm, not hot at all.

It makes me think that:

1) Either CPU reports wrong thermal data,

2) Either TIM is so bad quality that it makes impossible to use i7-7700K even in non-overclocked conditions.

One more weird thing about i7-7700K, mentioned in this thread, is that temperature from idle 40 jumps to 90-100 degrees in just 2 seconds. The same, when I close Prime95, temperature decreases from 90-100 to 40 degrees in 2-3 seconds. I'm not sure - may be this is normal behavior, but looks too fast.

Temperatures were measured using the latest version of HW monitor. "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" for all CPUs reported that they are OK.

idata
Employee

Well... here we are Intel. User went an extra mile and did some different hardware tests just to find out the problem is with the CPU. Thanks for that AlexeyL.

Intel, please update us on this issue...

EBakk
Novice

Thanks for all the testing!

1) Either CPU reports wrong thermal data,

2) Either TIM is so bad quality that it makes impossible to use i7-7700K even in non-overclocked conditions.

Could somebody Delid the CPU and show us the result? With the: ''delid die mate v2'' it shouldnt be that hard and/or risky.

AElib
Novice

Mine is Delided

0 Kudos
cdarn
Novice

Do you have the problem with the temp spikes?

0 Kudos
PRuiz4
Beginner

It happens with a delid cpu also.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It has nothing to do with thermal solution that we use, neither it has to do with thermal compound within the CPU under the lid. The CPU has a either voltage issue (spikes in voltage resulting instant spikes to 80 C) or the sensor is faulty. If there was a problem with cooling system it would look totally different. Now I am running my CPU at locked 4.2 GHZ and it never goes above 70 under load. The moment I turn on Turbo Boost - i get spikes to 80 and 90 when opening Notepad....

0 Kudos
THarD4
Beginner

Exactly the same problem ....

0 Kudos
RRies
Novice

Intel please provide us with a status update. We should have heard something by now........ I contacted the Product Quality group earlier with the following message. You tell us it is under investigation but nothing has been provided to those of us who have purchased these products.

I am writing to ask if Intel can provide the 115 members of the community with some type of an update on this i7-7700K thermal sensor issue that has been opened since 30 January without any updates. We have been told by agents names Alberto and Juan Carlos to post in the community but we are all getting to the point of asking for RMAs or product returns if this drags on much longer with dead silence.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110728

0 Kudos
jmall3
Beginner

I've tried to reproduce the problem, but have not yet seen the temp spikes which does not mean others are not seeing it.

CPU is delidded. 7700K@5.0 (or 5.3)/ASUS Apex/3866c16 ram (1,425V)

Sysyem has a 12-13% cpu load while Update was running in this picture. I opened and closed just about every program installed.

0 Kudos
cdarn
Novice

Really good testing u did.

How about we all RMA, and then mayby they will answer us?