Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Thermal specs for i5-4210m?

Bernd_Bausch
Beginner

I have a Lenovo L540 laptop whose fan just keeps on running with an annoying noise under default settings. Using a piece of software named TPFanControl, I am able to switch the fan off most of the time, but too often, the fan comes back to live with a loud boost (then switches itself off after three seconds or so). I have the feeling that this behaviour gets worse with time.

My hope is that I can improve the situation by triggering the fan at higher temperatures. The problem is, I don't know how high I can go with the CPU, Core i5-4210m. I found a spec page, but it has no environmental data.

How hot can this CPU get before it gets damaged?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
So, it sounds to me like your laptop is suffering from typical age-related thermal degradation, namely that the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) has dried out and is hindering dissipation. You need to take it apart and replace the TIM. Use a good quality TIM, something like Arctic Silver 4 or 5.
To answer your question, your processor has a maximum Junction temperature (Tj-max) of 100°c. You need to keep the temperature below this level.
...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
So, it sounds to me like your laptop is suffering from typical age-related thermal degradation, namely that the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) has dried out and is hindering dissipation. You need to take it apart and replace the TIM. Use a good quality TIM, something like Arctic Silver 4 or 5.
To answer your question, your processor has a maximum Junction temperature (Tj-max) of 100°c. You need to keep the temperature below this level.
...S
Bernd_Bausch
Beginner

Thanks Scott, great answer. Replacing the TIM is something I have never done, but I am gladly going to try out something new. Meanwhile, I adjusted the configuration of my fan control software and have a quiet PC at around 70 degrees.

0 Kudos