Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11680 Discussions

Thermal specs for i5-4210m?

Bernd_Bausch
Beginner

I have a Lenovo L540 laptop whose fan just keeps on running with an annoying noise under default settings. Using a piece of software named TPFanControl, I am able to switch the fan off most of the time, but too often, the fan comes back to live with a loud boost (then switches itself off after three seconds or so). I have the feeling that this behaviour gets worse with time.

My hope is that I can improve the situation by triggering the fan at higher temperatures. The problem is, I don't know how high I can go with the CPU, Core i5-4210m. I found a spec page, but it has no environmental data.

How hot can this CPU get before it gets damaged?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
So, it sounds to me like your laptop is suffering from typical age-related thermal degradation, namely that the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) has dried out and is hindering dissipation. You need to take it apart and replace the TIM. Use a good quality TIM, something like Arctic Silver 4 or 5.
To answer your question, your processor has a maximum Junction temperature (Tj-max) of 100°c. You need to keep the temperature below this level.
...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
So, it sounds to me like your laptop is suffering from typical age-related thermal degradation, namely that the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) has dried out and is hindering dissipation. You need to take it apart and replace the TIM. Use a good quality TIM, something like Arctic Silver 4 or 5.
To answer your question, your processor has a maximum Junction temperature (Tj-max) of 100°c. You need to keep the temperature below this level.
...S

View solution in original post

Bernd_Bausch
Beginner

Thanks Scott, great answer. Replacing the TIM is something I have never done, but I am gladly going to try out something new. Meanwhile, I adjusted the configuration of my fan control software and have a quiet PC at around 70 degrees.