Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Too much battery drain in modern standby due to Intel SoC nohwdrips.c10.unknown

Nikhilnik
Novice

I have my laptop supperted with MODERN STANDBY. But in modern standby my battery drain is so high. I have generated sleep report and found only one culprit nohwdrips.c10.unknown. This value is active 99% off the time and never sleeps. And this is the only one consumes so much of battery making modern standby so unusual.  How can i make sleep nohwdrips.c10.unknown??????

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello Nikhilnik,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Have you contacted the laptop manufacturer to diagnosticate the situation?

3. Have you tried to change the battery plan options on your laptop?

4. Have you disable any overclocking/turbo boost options on your laptop?

5. Do you know which Intel component is related/causing this issue?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Nikhilnik
Novice

1. Used Intel SSU. It only shows system info. Also it dont give me any warning or errors. Should i share the results??wHERE?

2. I have contacted laptop manufacturer but they told Modern Standby is a new feature and will consume battery and told this much battery drain is usual in standby (but in reality microsoft specs says too low battery will be consumed in modern standby). Then they blamed microsoft os for that. Then i contacted microsoft they told Intel processor management is culprit for that. Now i have contacted Intel.

3. I have changed every battery plan and possible combination and checked.

4. my processor is 1135g7 and it dont suppports overclocking. Also there is no way in bios to disable turbo. Also intel xtu is not for my processor.

5. Nohwdrips.c10.unknown is active always.

NoHwDrips would indicate the Intel SoC's Platform Controller Hub (aka PCH) is being kept awake while the hardware should be in lower power states, and the PMC would indicate the Power Management Controller, aka part of the Intel ME, is the culprit. (this may be helpful).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/8nuw4h/battery_drain_while_sleeping_on_sb2/

Now tell me what should i do???

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Nikhilnik,

Thanks for the information provided, I would like to get some extra details from you. Please provide the following:

1. Send the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report.

2. Did you try the steps provided on the Reddit thread?

3. Have you performed all the operating system updates?

4. Have you reinstalled the operating system?

5. Have you disabled the MODERN STANDBY to check if the issue increase or not?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Nikhilnik
Novice

1. Attached file here

2. Tried but not worked

3. Every system driver is updated.

4. Reinstalled using recovery but not worked. Then installed OS from microsoft download page but agian not worked.

5. Whatever i have discussed is regarding MODERN STANDBY. Even if anyhow i am successful to disable modern standby (which i have not tried ) then this discussion is meaningless.

Will Intel is going to consider this issue??????

If yes, how long should i wait for it to be work properly?????

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Nikhilnik, 

Thanks for the information provided, I would like to let you know that some features (even if was created by Intel) are handled and customized by the laptop manufacturer meaning that they add, remove, restrict options based on their system/laptop.

However, in order to help you further, please try the following:

1. Check for a BIOS update, it may contain a possible fix.

2. As a test, disable the MODERN STANDBY.

- On the search bar, type "Regidtry Editor" and click on it.

- Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

- Double Click on "CsEnabled" and change the Value data to 0

- On the search bar, type "Command Prompt"

- Type "powercfg /a", then hit Enter and provide the result.

3. Check the following links with some steps provided by DELL support and extra information:

- https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/ev17f7/battery_drain_on_xps_9570_after_intel_management/

- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby?linkId=81335639

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Nikhilnik
Novice

You said "features (even if was created by Intel) are handled and customized by the laptop manufacturer". I have earlier HP laptop with 11th gen 1115g4 processor and the same problem persist there i.e. nohwdrips.c10.unknown. I dont think that every second laptop has this problem due to manufacturer fault only.

There a loop has been created. Dell blames Microsoft for software then Microsoft blames Intel for hardware then again Intel blames Dell for their customized behavior. 

1. Every system component is fully updated.

2. CsEnabled has already a zero value filled in there. So nothing has to be changed.

3. Links you have provided only says to use battery mode nothing else.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Nikhilnik, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Nikhilnik, 

Based on the internal research I would like to let you know that Intel SoC is most related to the chipset and even though he has an Intel one, it is installed in an OEM system and they may customize it; however, I would like to provide you some troubleshooting steps to try:

1. The network connection in "Power & Sleep" settings can be set as always to disconnect the PC from the network when it is asleep or on battery power.

2. You can change as well the power settings for the plan he chose. For example, if the options like when to go to sleep or turn off the display are set to "never" then, the battery will be always in use no matter if the PC is idle or in high utilization.

3. Under "Power & sleep" he can turn on the option "Save me power when the device knows I'm away"

Also, bear in mind that the best step is to contact the laptop manufacturer to check the power settings and if there are any updates available for the laptop.

If you want to check if there is some failure with your processor, you can use the following tool:

- Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Nikhilnik, 

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Nikhilnik,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos