Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Toshiba Portege Z30 and i7-8750H

CPeal
Beginner

Can I replace an intel core I5-4300u (which Is already in the Toshiba Portege Z30 laptop) with an intel core i7-8750H and if so can the Intel core i7-8750H connect to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, no way. An upgrade processor must be socket, chipset, and Bios compatible. And, your existing processor cannot be soldered to the motherboard, which yours is, which makes the rest of this discussion moot.

Doc

0 Kudos
CPeal
Beginner

So is there anyway I can upgrade the Intel core and still be able to connect to 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You are mixing apples and oranges.

Your processor cannot be upgraded. If it were possible to upgrade the processor, you would have to ask Toshiba what processors are supported by their bios, and then select from those.

The wifi is a completely separate issue. It is typically a small card that can be replaced. However, you would need to ask Toshiba about compatibility.

I know you want to breath some extra life and performance into this old laptop, but you really should consider a new(er) laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
CPeal
Beginner

OK thank you for your help. And I am looking to use this laptop for gaming so do you know any laptops that have goods specs for gaming because I have found it hard with my £200 budget?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There are so many laptops out there to choose from. I am not a gamer, so I cannot help you

You may want to start by reading this: https://www.tomshardware.com/topics/laptops/best-picks

Doc

0 Kudos