Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Troubleshooting Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 2630-QM 2Ghz - After installing Sandy CPU in to the Ivy chipset - full speed fan

PPavo
Beginner

Hello,

I have a problem with my notebook HP Probook 450 G0 . My chipset is Ivy bridge, but installed cpu is Sandy bridge. I try update BIOS, install new graphics HD3000 driver but nothing helps. So please help me, because I really love Intel(R) products.

My specs: (in system information I see 'Temperature sensor - Not Supported')

System Name:HP ProBook 450 G0Processor Name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHzBIOS Name:68IRF Ver. F.63Video card Name:Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000Installed Memory:4,00 GBNumber of Installed Programs:298Number of Running Processes:87Internet Explorer Version:11.0.9600.18500DirectX Version:DirectX 11.NET Framework Version:

Physical Processors:1Logical Processors:8Name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHzDescription:Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7Manufacturer:GenuineIntelFrequency:1995 MHzExternal Clock Frequency:100 MHzProcessor ID:BFEBFBFF - 000206A7L1 Data Cache:4 x 32 KBL1 Instruction Cache:4 x 32 KBL2 Cache:2 x 256 KBL3 Cache:6 MBArchitecture:x64Number of Cores:4APIC ID:0Address Width:64 bitData Width:64 bitSocket Designation:U3E1x87 FPU on Chip:SupportedVirtual-8086 Mode Enhancement:SupportedDebugging Extensions:SupportedPage Size Extensions:SupportedTime Stamp Counter:SupportedRDMSR and WRMSR Support:SupportedPhysical Address Extensions:SupportedMachine Check Exception:SupportedCMPXCHG8B Inst.:SupportedAPIC on Chip:SupportedSYSENTER and SYSEXIT:SupportedMemory Type Range Registers:SupportedPTE Global Bit:Supported</tr...
0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you check with HP to see if your notebook BIOS supports the i7-2630QM?

The processor must be socket AND BIOS (AND CHIPSET) compatible.

HOWEVER - your biggest problem is your notebook has the HM76 chipset (http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2013/SpringSMBNews/HPProBook450G0_datasheet.pdf http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2013/SpringSMBNews/HPProBook450G0_datasheet.pdf ),

and the i7-2640QM requires a QM67, HM67, or HM65 chipset: :http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz# @compatibility Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) Specifications

Personally, I would stop now and revert to your previous ivy bridge processor. You may damage your notebook by attempting to do what you are doing.

Doc

idata
Employee

Al Hill, Thanks for your help

To: 3dfxman

Hello 3dfxman,

I would like to confirm if the information provided was able to helo you with your concern?

I am looking forward to heard from you.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello 3dfxman,

http://ark.intel.com/products/75104 Intel® Core™ i3-4000M Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz) Specifications

http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz?q=i7-2630QM Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz) Specifications

After comparing the above two processors, one could find specification differences between them both, especially for their different TDPs, different memory modules support, different support on turbo boost and so forth.

Update BIOS?

What does it mean? You have flash it onto the updatest version, or change the parameters on the SETUP? Anyway, I suggest you, remove the batter from CMOS, or use other way to clear the data stored on CMOS, and configure the parameters on the SETUP again. I also suggest you use utility such as HWINFO64, CPU-Z and so forth to provide even more information on your hardware configure.

I am expecting to hear your replies. Good luck!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I fail to see how this is helpful. The OP is using a processor and chipset combination that are not compatible.

Doc

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Al Hill,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Clearing the data in CMOS is not a way to get around this problem, but just make sure the system functions well.

As to the compatibility problems, using chipsets designed for Sandy Bridge processors to support Ivy Bridge processors is the up-ward compatibility problem, such as using H61 based mobo to support Celeron G1620 processor; using the Ivy Bridge chipsets to support Sandy Bridge processors is the down-ward compatibility problem , such as using H77 based mobo to support Celeron G530 processor; using mobile chipsets to support desktop processors is the transplatform compatibility problem, such as using the HM55 based mobo to support Pentium G6950 processor.

The fan speed is controlled by the IC controller on the mainboard, rather than the chipsets, so I guess that might be the problems of firmware, not likely the compatibility problems.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Still, none of this is relevant. His configuration is invalid and not supported - period.

Doc

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
PPavo
Beginner

Do not argue, guys. I think, new firmware will be solved problem... The first of all MB accepted CPU, otherwise notebook would begin beeping and wont boot. I also try Intel(R) cpu benchmark / test and everything was green 'pass'.. I tested +24hours 100% stress - no errors, no crashing, no blue screens of dead etc... and Update BIOS I mean flash new version of firmware (+ try reset bios).. I try fan softs but anyone couldnt set speed. Since it is old CPU, I know it, but I think intel(R) support should seek help for all people who has buy intel(R) products.. So, I would summarize it.. My CPU I7-2630QM has partial support.. But I remains optimist .

Thanks guys for discussion.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 3dfxman,

Please let me know if there have been any progress with your concern?

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello 3dfxman,

I am so glad to hear your positive voice! This world does need the positive voice! Wish you have a good luck and obtain the further support from HP.

In order to get a closer step towards QPI and Nehalem (microarchitecture), I got a no-brand mobo and Pentium G6950 processor. Later I found the chipset is the HM55, what such an excellent thing! No speedstep support and fanspeed could not be controlled at all! But I think it is quite nice to me, I love it! And I am just using it!

Showing this picture is to prove what I said in my words.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello 3dfxman,

I would like to know if the information that provided to you was able to solve your concern?

In case if you need further assistance do not hesitate to reply back.

Regards,

Angie.

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Well, I read Al Hill's words again and again, I have to figure out what he said is right! With the consideration of the system reliabilities, using the original processor is a safe thing!

0 Kudos