Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Turbo Boost Max 3.0

rflor1
Beginner

I am going to purchase a computer from Digital Storm with the I9-7980XE Processor. I perform a lot of Chess Engine Testing in which all 18 core will be used at 100%. The specs of the Processor are as follows:

Cores: 18

Processor Base Frequency: 2.60 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency: 4.20 GHz

Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Frequency: 4.40 GHz

I have several questions.

1) When the chess programs are calculation and using 100% of all 18 cores, at what frequency will they be performing at (assuming I do not make any changes in BIOS or anywhere else, meaning factory settings)?

2) If I can make changes (unlocking processor) in the BIOS, will I be able to set the processor to the 4.2 GHz or up to the 4.4 GHz frequency?

3) If I can set the frequency up to 4.40 GHz will be this on all 18 cores or only 1 or only a specific number of cores can be modified? Meaning what is the highest frequency I can set this processor too (ex: 16 cores at 4.20 GHz and 2 at 4.40 GHz or all 18 at 4.40 GHz)?

Any information will really be appreciated.....Thank You.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, stockfish1977. Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than glad to assist you.

Regarding your questions:
  1. The processor automatically will adjust the frequency depending on the task that it's running, therefore, it will go from the base to the maximum frequency as it requires to.
  2. For your question 2 and 3; please keep in mind that Overclocking is not supported. If you would like to know more information about Overclocking please refer to the following links: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html Overclock Your CPU with Unlocked Intel® Processors, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/how-to-overclock.html How to Overclock your PC for Extreme Gaming Performance.
Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, stockfish1977.

I would like to know if you have any additional question. If so, please do not hesitate to reply to this thread.

Antony S.
0 Kudos