I am going to purchase a computer from Digital Storm with the I9-7980XE Processor. I perform a lot of Chess Engine Testing in which all 18 core will be used at 100%. The specs of the Processor are as follows:
Processor Base Frequency: 2.60 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency: 4.20 GHz
Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Frequency: 4.40 GHz
I have several questions.
1) When the chess programs are calculation and using 100% of all 18 cores, at what frequency will they be performing at (assuming I do not make any changes in BIOS or anywhere else, meaning factory settings)?
2) If I can make changes (unlocking processor) in the BIOS, will I be able to set the processor to the 4.2 GHz or up to the 4.4 GHz frequency?
3) If I can set the frequency up to 4.40 GHz will be this on all 18 cores or only 1 or only a specific number of cores can be modified? Meaning what is the highest frequency I can set this processor too (ex: 16 cores at 4.20 GHz and 2 at 4.40 GHz or all 18 at 4.40 GHz)?
Any information will really be appreciated.....Thank You.
Hello, stockfish1977. Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than glad to assist you.
Regarding your questions:
- The processor automatically will adjust the frequency depending on the task that it's running, therefore, it will go from the base to the maximum frequency as it requires to.
- For your question 2 and 3; please keep in mind that Overclocking is not supported. If you would like to know more information about Overclocking please refer to the following links: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html Overclock Your CPU with Unlocked Intel® Processors, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/how-to-overclock.html How to Overclock your PC for Extreme Gaming Performance.