Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Turbo Boost Power Time Window too short?

ddavi36
Beginner

Just downloaded Intel XTU today, I noticed that the turbo boost power time window is set to default 0.25 second,is it too short? I want to increase the time but the PC will restart and automatically enter BIOS, saying that boot failure detected BIOS has been reset. I am using Core i5-4460 locked.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello bata126:

You will be able to increase the turbo boost power time window up to 96 seconds on the advanced tuning menu.

The fact that the PC is rebooting and getting in the BIOS by itself is kind of strange, you should be able to change that setting without affecting the booting process.

Are you doing overclocking?

What is the model of the board?

Did you try a BIOS update?

Did you try to restore the BIOS values to defaults?

Which Windows version are you using?

Any questions please let know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
ddavi36
Beginner

When I change the settings the PC hangs and watchdog timer will restart the PC for me, so I can't change it. The setting is also not available in BIOS. Is 0.25 second the default value? If it is then I will just leave it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bata126:

Thank you for providing that information.

Since the XTU tool gets the values directly from the BIOS, to reset the BIOS to defaults or to try a BIOS update might help in order to fix this problem, that is why we recommend to try those steps.

In regard to your inquiry, the default value for the turbo boost power time window is actually 1 second, I replicated this scenario using the Intel® NUC Skull Canyon and I was able to change that setting with no problems, all the way from 1 second to 96 seconds.

Any other question, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
ddavi36
Beginner

Hi,

Reset the BIOS does not change the setting, still 0.25 seconds, does not fix the problem, and it is not available to change inside the BIOS.

One more question, is the turbo boost short power max (PL2) 1.25x the TDP? So in my case it should be 105W because the TDP is 84W, is it true?

I also get a strange thing that the core voltage mode and cache voltage mode is greyed out in XTU, showing 'static' even through in BIOS all voltage settings are set to Auto. Graphics voltage mode does not have this problem, it is 'adaptive'.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bata126:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

In regard to your inquiry, based on the data sheet of the processor, yes, in your case the PL2 should be 105W, as you can confirm on the following link, page 84 at the botton:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html Intel® Core™ Processors Technical Resources

Remember that the XTU tool was design to do overclocking, and in order to do that all the components of the system need to be unlocked, meaning processor, motherboard, memory RAM, chipset and BIOS. So, if one of those elements is not unlocked these type of situations like unable to change the turbo boost power time window or the fact that the core voltage mode and cache voltage mode are grayed out on the XTU tool will be expected.

So, basically the XTU reflects the values of the BIOS if the BIOS allows it to do that, in that case the manufacturer of the BIOS which is the same as the board have the option to enable or disable some features on the BIOS that will cause some of the options on the XTU tool not to work as expected.

Any other inquiry about this matter or if you need further assistance, please let me know.

Alberto
0 Kudos
ddavi36
Beginner

So will 1 sec increases performance a lot? If not I will just leave it 0.25 sec for stability.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bata126:

In regard to your inquiry, since Intel tested the processor at stock configurations in that case we recommend as you mentioned to use it at 0.25 sec for stability, however you do have the option to do change that value but we do not have any reports showing that it will increase the performance if you change it to 1 second.

Any questions or if you need further information about this matter, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
ddavi36
Beginner

Thank you much for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bata126:

You are welcome.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos