Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Turbo Boost doesn't work as it should

ELipi
Beginner

Hi! I just yesterday bought a new laptop asus fx504 with gtx 1050 , 8gigs of ram and i5-8300H 2.3GHz, I know this 8th gen processor is able to turbo boost up to 4.0GHz when I have nothing turned on, task manager shows, that CPU is jumping to 2.0GHz, and 3.9GHz - constantly changing, but when start FurMark, it shows I am only on 2.3GHz running it, same with witcher 3, It runs on 1 FPS, and task manager shows, that it runs on solid 2.3GHz, no higher, sometimes drops lower, but not higher than 2.3GHz.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello, everyone! Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than glad to assist you.

I would like to know if this issue happens when the computer is charging or without charging? Also, which is the processor's frequency that BIOS shows?

Additionally, please set the BIOS settings back to default. Furthermore, to verify the health of the processor, please run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the results.

Antony S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GCher4
Beginner

I have the same problem. With power options set to maximum performance(min processor speed 100% when plugged in), processor speed is stable near 4 GHz. However, every time I launch a game, speed drops to 2 GHz or around this value. Can't be the temperature.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, everyone! Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than glad to assist you.

I would like to know if this issue happens when the computer is charging or without charging? Also, which is the processor's frequency that BIOS shows?

Additionally, please set the BIOS settings back to default. Furthermore, to verify the health of the processor, please run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
JHans17
Beginner

I have the same results as these guys do. Idle goes up to 4 ghz, as soon as I turn on games or Cinebench ghz drops to 2.3. If I'm lucky it goes up to 3 ghz

Results are attached.

I am using Asus FX504 with i5-8300h as well

connected to charger

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, hotflaps. Thank you for your input.

By checking the results of your report, I can see that your processor is healthy and passed the frequency test as well.

Have you tried setting the BIOS settings back to default? And, which is the frequency that is shown in the BIOS? Furthermore, please make sure that the Intel® Turbo Boost Technology is enabled in the BIOS.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, hotflaps.

I would like to know if you still need assistance. If so, please do not hesitate to reply to this thread.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that I attached to the post above and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos