Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12773 Discussions

Turbo Boost only reaching 3.46ghz of 3.60ghz?

JPisz
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am running an Intel i7 i870 CPU on an Intel DP55KG motherboard.

I downloaded the Turbo Boost monitor, readme below:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18353/eng/TurboBoost%20Monitor%20ReleaseNotes%20v1%2003%20.pdf

And I only see Turbo Boost reach 3.46GHz, never above that?

I am using a good aftermarket cooler and have good temps in the case, any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JPisz
New Contributor II

Using CPU burn in I did see it hit 3.6ghz for only for a < 1 second (a few times), it seems to hover around 3.4ghz, interesting, anyone else monitor their turbo boost rates?

JPisz
New Contributor II

If I close all apps, it reaches 3.59/3.6ghz and goes down to 3.4ghz, it is VERY sensitive to any other processes running on other cores.. I wonder if there is a way to tune how processes migrate between and/or stay on one cores in Windows 7?

idata
Employee

You only get 3.6 when there's 1 core in use, this is hard to do as there is normally lots of programs running in the background that take a little CPU, this then get spread on to othercores and lowers the speed.