Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Turbo Boost works strange

MBeli3
Beginner

Hi. I have a proplem. I have a laptope Asus G46VW. When it's running on battery Turbo Boost works, but when it is running from electric power supply Turbo Boost doesn't work. When i use

Turbo Boost Technology Monitor it writes "poweer saving". And everything is ok when laptope is running on battery. In both variant of electricity supply i used such power sheme as Power4gear high performance. Sorry of my English but i wish you will understand me.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Let me help you with that.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they're operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.

Intel Turbo Boost Technology is activated when the Operating System (OS) requests a frequency higher than the rated frequency of the processor. Whether the processor enters into and the amount of time the processor spends in the Intel Turbo Boost Technology state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Maximum turbo frequency indicates the highest possible frequency achievable when conditions allow the processor to enter turbo mode. Intel Turbo Boost Technology frequency varies depending on workload, hardware, software and overall system configuration.

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel Turbo Boost Technology may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel Turbo Boost Technology state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to the following:

Type of workload

Number of active cores

Estimated current consumption

Estimated power consumption

Processor temperature

When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel Turbo Boost Technology has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize frequency and energy efficiency. Note: Intel Turbo Boost Technology allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its TDP configuration and data sheet specified power for short durations to maximize performance.

Here you can check a table that shows how Intel® Turbo Boost works:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032278.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032278.htm

You can also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to test the internal components of the processor. Here you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792

0 Kudos
MBeli3
Beginner

I did test with Intel® Processor Diagnostic and there is a result:

---------------------------

--- Testing Processor 1 ---

---------------------------

--- IPDT64 - rev 2.10.0.0.MP ---

--- Start Time: 05/07/2014 21:43:55---

--- Skipping Config ---

--- Reading CPU Manufacturer ---

Expected --> GenuineIntel

Detected --> GenuineIntel

Found --- Genuine Intel Processor ---

--- Temperature Test ---

Temperature Test Passed!!!

Temperature = 53 degrees C below maximum.

--- Reading Brand String ---

Detected Brand String:

Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz

Brand String Test Passed!!!

--- Reading CPU Frequency ---

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 2.40

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 1.20049

CPU Frequency Test Failed!!!

--- Test End Time: 05/07/2014 21:44:09---

System Information

------------------

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9

Number of Physical Cores: 4

Number of Logical Cores: 8

Installed System Memory: 16 GB

Operating System: Майкрософт Windows 8 для одного языка 64-разрядная

Graphics Information: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

System Product: G46VW

System BIOS: G46VW.210

FAIL

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Well it is too bad to see it failed. Here we have a couple of more steps to do due to this situation.

I would like you to try with the latest BIOS update and if you already have it try to reinstall it on your system. It is a long shoot but the system may have lost the microcode for the processor and may be causing conflicts with it (not very common at all but possible).

In case the issue persist, I recommend you contacting Asus for them to replace the processor.

0 Kudos