Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Turbo boost BSOD & panic

RVäst
Beginner

Hi all,

Yesterday my computer suddenly crashed in middle of nothing - and after that OS just refuse to

boot correctly back to IS. It just spin in reset loop and throw all possible BSOD reasons.

I removed almost all possible components to narrow down the problem, updated mobo BIOS to

three latest versions, cleaned CMOS and used default values - but nothing seem to work. Even

windows 10 installer only flashes blue screen and computer immediately reboots itself.

I also tested two latest ubuntu releases and every time booting was interrupted by kernel panic

with some weird reasons like some timer_irq or memory error or something....

I manage to boot into freedos and after 4 hours memtest and cpuburn tests I decided that I'm not

going to find anything.

Finally I starter to change BIOS setting one by one, on and off, just to see if it helps. After changing

the turbo boost off - machine suddenly booted up into linux desktop. Just like that. I restored BIOS

setting back to its defaults and problem occurs again. Again after disabling turbo boost it worked

again.

My HW specs are: I5-8600K / ASUS ROG Z370-I / Hyper X Fury DDR4 2666MHz CL16 and all

parts are less than half year old. And the problem started about two weeks ago when first BSOD

appeared but it it worked ok until now...

Any ideas what is wrong? Is my mobo bad or is this related to these latest meltdown bugfixes?

Or is there a bug when CPU clock is changed during turbo boost but DDR controller miss something

and memory content is 0xDEADBEEF? Or what could possible cause this...?

-Rami

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team, bulpper. I will be more than glad to assist you.

I would like to verify the health of the processor, in order to do so, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and share with us the results. In addition, is it possible to test your processor with another motherboard? Or, can you test your mainboard with another processor? Please let us know the behavior of those tests.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
RVäst
Beginner

Thank you for your swift answer,

Unfortunately I don't have same generation CPU nor other motherboard to test

but I'll try that processor diagnostic tool and let you know the results.

Should I try to enable turbo boost before running diagnostic tool? It could be

hard since it keeps rebooting itself when its enabled...

-Rami

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your response, bulpper.

There is no need to activate the Turbo Boost Technology to run the test.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your response, bulpper.

There is no need to activate the Turbo Boost Technology to run the test.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
RVäst
Beginner

OK, now I have some results from processor diagnostic tool after running bit less

that 2 hours - all tests passed and temperatures was nicely below maximum level.

Not really sure how to interpret the results but but I'll try to share them with you

if you can help me...

TestResults_Full.txt:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-kgjz7UvmFnhcOVrb5SqV15qImxvpx3G/view?usp=sharing https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-kgjz7UvmFnhcOVrb5SqV15qImxvpx3G/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for your reply and the information provided, bulpper.

By checking the results of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, I can see that your processor is healthy, therefore, this might be a problem with the motherboard. Please get in touch withhttps://www.asus.com/support/ ASUS* Support so they can provide you with further assistance.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, bulpper.

I would like to know if you could get in touch with ASUS* Support and the results.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
RVäst
Beginner

Hi 'behalf of Intel Corporation'

And thanks for asking... I delivered motherboard, memory and CPU to guarantee service and

they have been playing with it almost 2 weeks now. They ordered new motherboard but still It's

in service - I assume that there is still some problems because I haven heard them since...

From ASUS I first got some quite useless information like try to swap memories and use only

one at the time and try to get another memory for testing etc. Remove all the overclocking,

update BIOS, test components one by on in another system... Useless because before when

I first asked help, I told all the thing that I have done - and they basically told same thing back

to me...

But finally they understand what I have done - and they also suggested that I need to run IPDT

tool. I told them what was the results and verdict was that the motherboard is probably guilty....

Anyway, I the system was in use one week without turbo boost and everything worked without

any issues - but original problems occurs every time where turbo boost was enabled...

-Rami

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your input, bulpper.

Keep us updated about this issue. I will keep monitoring this thread. I hope this gets fixed soon for you!

Antony S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, bulpper.

Is there any update about this case?

Antony S.
0 Kudos
RVäst
Beginner

Ok - time to update what happened so far....

As I mention that MoBo was delivered to local store and I finally get a brand new one and I got it back

after few weeks...

I turn the computer on - and I got good old BSOD. Once again everything back to pieces and made same

maneuver again and turns out that turbo boost was the initial problem again. I called to service and they

said that you need to go over and ask what they have done - we cannot see what kind of procedures have

done. Only that MoBo is changed and its tested with our test-cd that covers pretty much everything...

Anyway I allowed it to run few weeks without TB - running tests every once in a while and did some heavy

video editing stuff and whatnot. No crash - except once few days ago.

I went to service and asked again how they exactly made the test - with my PSU or how. They said that

everything was tested one by one - CPU, MoBo, Memories and PSU.... and I was so convinced that I

bought a new PSU right away.

Yeasterday I replaced it and it worked! PC was working with Turbo boost - YES! It was left on quite many

hours without any problem. I was bit skeptical but main thing is that is OK now...

..but the happiness was very momentary since BSOD started again this morning and disabling TB was

the solution to get it up and running again.

Btw I found quite a many issus with this board: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119033 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119033

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119033 ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Also similar issue in ASUS forum:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98061-BSOD-caused-by-Turbo-boost-help-welcome BSOD caused by Turbo boost, help welcome

I stilla have same CPU and memories - which one to change next. Or is it still MoBo issue...

-Rami

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, your summary started a bell ringing. I vaguely remember an issue wherein it was found that the problem was caused by the BIOS. The BIOS was, by default, setting the voltage limit too low and this resulted in the processor being unstable (starving for power) in certain situations. All you had to do was raise this limit and the problem would be alleviated. Do a search here in the Communities and see if you can find the related posts and whether it was tied to this motherboard.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. At the same time, have you done a good test of this memory? Have you, for example, boot up into something like MemTest86+ and let it pound on the memory for 24 hours?

0 Kudos
RVäst
Beginner

Hi again - after a year,

I decided to write some status how this case went and what actually happened with my setup...

As i wrote earlier I delivered whole system to service and after 2 weeks, or so, I get a new one and it didn't

work with TB. So I disable it and all worked again just like after the first 'problem'.

After few weeks I decided to change PSU to little bigger, if that was the root of all evil and everything, and

everything started working again. I ran some performance/what-not tests and everything worked just fine.

With TB.

I was quite happy, but I was bit concern about the fix and I worried that eventually it will stop working again.

After one day it stopped working again with TB and I had to go Non-TB mode again.

I also tried to change memories but no luck. Week to two later whole machine stopped working totally.

Finally it even didn't turn on at all.

After more than two weeks I get my setup back with new mobo and CPU and everything has worked fine

since. Almost a year now.

Assumption was that CPU was somehow broken so that it'll ruin mobo. I dIdn't get much information from

service because they haven't seen these kind of issues before and didn't actually knew what was wrong....

It could relate to CPU power management - but I cannot tell for sure...

I hope that eventually you guys at the Intel get this CPU and reply here what was the real issue ;-)

Thanks everyone for the answers,

-Rami

0 Kudos